Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-27 16:12:00

numzob

how to use other window manager with xfce

Every once in a while in random places on the net (not here, that I can recall or find) I find mention of using other window managers with XFCE. My understanding is that XFCE is modular enough that XFWM can be switched to some other window manager, and back, as desired.  I have seen screenshots of the following window managers used with XFCE: Fluxbox, Window Maker.

My question is, how is this done?  Is this something done through XFCE itself, or is it some sort of kludge?  I've not found a way to do the first approach. I imagine that a kludge would invite problems. Would this work only for certain window managers?

Thank you.

p.s. I like XFWM, it's just that I like variety also. Using something like dwm, for example, with XFCE sounds potentially interesting.

#2 2016-03-27 16:34:10

sixsixfive
Website

Re: how to use other window manager with xfce

numzob wrote:

My question is, how is this done?

you could replace xfwm4 at startup eg:

unbenannt84.png

also some windowmanagers dont have a replace flag so you need to kill xfwm4 first eg "killall xfwm4 && windowmaker"

since you mentioned it fluxbox, dwm, icewm require special configs since they will usually launch a panel/dock

Last edited by sixsixfive (2016-03-27 16:42:01)

#3 2016-03-27 18:59:13

MountainDewManiac

Mint now includes both Xfwm and Compiz(*) with it's Xfce-flavored version of the distro, and I believe that Compiz is "a little" heavier than Xfwm - so it's probably doable with most window managers.

(*)IDK how well it integrates with Xfce, as I just use Xfwm... But I assume it works, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2016-03-27 21:05:22

Sideburns
Website

Compiz works great with Xfce.  I like to use that combination on my laptop, so that I can show Windows users just how much Linux can do on a laptop designed for Windows Vista, then ask them why Windows can't give them all these effects.  I'm not trying to use the eye candy to lure them away from the Dark Side; I'm using it as an example of how much better Linux really is.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#5 2016-03-27 23:41:34

MountainDewManiac

Sideburns wrote:

then ask them why Windows can't give them all these effects.

Maybe because even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while, lol? Or, alternatively: If I have a dog, would saddling the poor beast with a sweater and a floppy hat make it a better dog - or would it just indicate that the dog's owner didn't have the good sense to put his, err, doggie budget where it could actually do something useful?

I understand that some folks are easily distracted by something shiny; after all, ChinaMart is still raking in the profits. <SHRUGS> I just don't see where wasting a picosecond of development time on such a thing would be a sign of a better OS, or how failing to do so could be a sign of a worse one. (Or vice versa, come to think of it...)

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#6 2016-03-27 23:54:32

Sideburns
Website

It's not the eyecandy as such that's the selling point.  It's having four times as much screen real estate (or more, depending on how many workspaces you have) and the flexibility that it gives you.  It also shows that people who think that Windows has more features and a better UI are wrong.  Wobbly windows and the rotating cube are just ways to get their attention.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#7 2016-03-28 00:21:01

MountainDewManiac

Sideburns wrote:

It's not the eyecandy as such that's the selling point.  It's having four times as much screen real estate (or more, depending on how many workspaces you have)

Microsoft OS have had API support for virtual desktops since (IIRC) NT 4 (circa 1996). The user just needs/needed to download a GUI tool (if they wish to control it via GUI). But I think it's limited to four desktops and there are some other limitations (being unable to move applications from one to another in Windows 8 or prior, for one).

I do agree with you that linux distros are better (subjective term, I know... but methinks it'd hold up to most litmus tests wink ) OS than Microsoft ones.

And... I can't seem to stay on topic these days. My apologies, numzob!

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer