Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-31 12:56:15

SimpleTechGuy

Thunar Custom Actions - Right Click Menu - Restart Thunar

Hi everyone, First post here!!!  smile  Got this issue posted over on the Manjaro forums but no one has been able to help and I was referred over here.  Basically I've been looking everywhere for a command to restart Thunar.  I've Added a few custom actions and trying to get them to show up without a reboot...  The Appearance Conditions are all checked so they should be showing up when I right click on the desktop but they're not.  If I reboot the computer and log back in they will be there, but I know there is a command I can run to restart Thunar and refresh the cache which will force the right click menu to reload but I can't remember what that command is.  Hoping someone here can tell me quick...

Currently using thunar 1.6.10-2.3 (xfce4) but I've had this problem for a few years....

#2 2016-03-31 13:11:30

Jerry3904

Re: Thunar Custom Actions - Right Click Menu - Restart Thunar

Could you do something like this:

thunar -q && thunar

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2016-03-31 13:24:56

ToZ
Administrator

SimpleTechGuy wrote:

Hi everyone, First post here!!!  smile

Hello and welcome.

Got this issue posted over on the Manjaro forums but no one has been able to help and I was referred over here.  Basically I've been looking everywhere for a command to restart Thunar.  I've Added a few custom actions and trying to get them to show up without a reboot...  The Appearance Conditions are all checked so they should be showing up when I right click on the desktop but they're not.  If I reboot the computer and log back in they will be there, but I know there is a command I can run to restart Thunar and refresh the cache which will force the right click menu to reload but I can't remember what that command is.  Hoping someone here can tell me quick...

Currently using thunar 1.6.10-2.3 (xfce4) but I've had this problem for a few years....

You actually need to restart xfdesktop for it to pick up the changes to the custom actions for desktop icons. Try:

xfdesktop -R

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2016-03-31 13:51:27

Jerry3904

Ahhh.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2016-03-31 14:14:18

ToZ
Administrator

It's kind of weird though. I would have though it'd be automatic. I tested out a scenario and saw that it didn't refresh.

To the @OP, you may want to create a bug report for this. It should pick up the changes automatically.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2016-04-01 03:46:38

SimpleTechGuy

Thanks for the welcome ToZ.  Sorry, I didn't realize I was getting responses, emails went to spam for some reason.

Jerry3904 wrote:

Could you do something like this:

thunar -q && thunar

thanks, Tried this but didn't work.. 

ToZ wrote:

I would have though it'd be automatic.

me too...

ToZ wrote:

You actually need to restart xfdesktop for it to pick up the changes to the custom actions for desktop icons. Try:

xfdesktop -R

thanks, but no go here either...

#7 2016-04-01 03:52:23

SimpleTechGuy

ToZ wrote:

It's kind of weird though. I would have though it'd be automatic. I tested out a scenario and saw that it didn't refresh.

To the @OP, you may want to create a bug report for this. It should pick up the changes automatically.

Well at least I'm not the only one experiencing this.  I usually refrain from bug reports because it's usually my fault, lol.. but it sounds like it might be worth putting out there this time. 

In the meantime, I'd still like to figure out what command will reload the custom actions.  It's driving me crazy at this point..

#8 2016-04-01 14:15:40

SimpleTechGuy

#9 2016-04-01 14:34:00

ToZ
Administrator

SimpleTechGuy wrote:

In the meantime, I'd still like to figure out what command will reload the custom actions.  It's driving me crazy at this point..

"xfdesktop -R" does it for me. What version of xfdesktop are you running?

EDIT: Here is my test:
1. Create a file on the desktop called test.txt.
2. Create a file called test2.txt in thunar in your home directory.
3. Create a new Thunar Custom action "Edit in Mousepad". command = "mousepad %N" and appearance conditions checked are "Text Files"
4. Right-click the file in Thunar and notice the "Edit in Mousepad" action.
5. Right-click the file on the desktop and notice that the action is missing.
6. Reload the desktop via "xfdesktop -R"
7. Right-click the file on the desktop and notice that the action is now visible.

#10 2016-04-01 15:13:30

SimpleTechGuy

ToZ wrote:
SimpleTechGuy wrote:

"xfdesktop -R" does it for me. What version of xfdesktop are you running?

EDIT: Here is my test:
1. Create a file on the desktop called test.txt.
2. Create a file called test2.txt in thunar in your home directory.
3. Create a new Thunar Custom action "Edit in Mousepad". command = "mousepad %N" and appearance conditions checked are "Text Files"
4. Right-click the file in Thunar and notice the "Edit in Mousepad" action.
5. Right-click the file on the desktop and notice that the action is missing.
6. Reload the desktop via "xfdesktop -R"
7. Right-click the file on the desktop and notice that the action is now visible.

Wow, I was using a small -r.....  Man, see, that's why I didn't want to post bug report.. lol dangit... Well I guess there is still a problem that it doesn't automatically work on the desktop, but it appears to add automatically inside thunar...  Wow, I've been going crazy with this, thanks ToZ...  Appreciate all your help!!!

#11 2016-04-01 15:14:36

SimpleTechGuy

@ToZ, I hope you don't mind but I added your test as a reference on the bug report..

Board footer