Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-10 11:40:02

Tomha

xfce4-terminal fixed to column/rows, window size inconsistent

Using xfce4-terminal with xfwm, xfce4-terminal appears to resize to a set number of rows/columns rather than a pixel size. This means when snapping to a screen edge/corner with xfwm it rounds the size down to the nearest number of rows/columns, causing a window slightly narrower and shorter than any other window I try to resize. Functionally this is no problem, but its appearance bugs me when tiling with other windows. I suspect it won't be the case, but is it possible to change this so that it resizes "per pixel" rather than per row/column, like most other windows?

#2 2016-05-10 15:14:08

ToZ

Re: xfce4-terminal fixed to column/rows, window size inconsistent

I don't believe you can with the current version of xfce4-terminal. What I believe is happening is that xfwm4 is setting the window properties on tile but then xfce4-terminal is re-sizing based on rows/columns of font and shrinking the window away from the edges. xfce4-terminal is in the process of being re-written to use VTE3, so that may change in the future.

As for options, Terminator has an option to turn off geometry_hinting which allows the window to tile properly (without the re-size).

You can also use wmctrl to create scripts to place windows in exact locations that you desire without the gapping.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#3 2016-05-11 01:02:55

Tomha

wmctrl does the job pretty well, between a global hotkey and an alias for terminal windows I could see this as being pretty useful, thanks for pointing it out. However it doesn't solve the problem entirely, I don't suppose its possible to get xfwm to run custom commands on snap-to-edge events? Or perhaps use something else to monitor for xfwm resize events and run a command under certain conditions? If not I'll either put up with it for the time being or keep using konsole and see what the re-write brings.

#4 2016-05-11 02:37:16

ToZ

Tomha wrote:

I don't suppose its possible to get xfwm to run custom commands on snap-to-edge events?

Unfortunately, no.

Or perhaps use something else to monitor for xfwm resize events and run a command under certain conditions?

I don't believe its an xfwm issue - I think its the app that is doing this. Either way, I am unaware of a method to do this.

You can also create a bug report against xfwm4 and see what the developer says.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#5 2016-05-11 02:43:55

MountainDewManiac

...or join the Xfce Developer email list and ask there. You never know, someone might think, "Hey, that's a great idea. Why don't I see if I can figure out a solution for that?"

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2017-12-29 04:49:13

bergentroll

I want to attract your attention that on Mate DE with Marco WM xfce4-terminal works properly in "tile" mode.

Board footer