Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-07 10:13:40

millzy
Website

XFCE Development

Hi All,

I am looking a doing some development with XFCE and am wondering if I could get some feedback from people programming for linux, mainly Debian, XFCE.  I am a .Net web developer and have over 8 years experience developing with C#, Web and Windows Applications, I am not a complete N00b to Linux, and have existing skills using mainly Perl and PHP, and Bash with Zenity, and now looking at some Python.

Hoping I can be pointed in the right direction as to what I should be using to develop with the XFCE environment without Gnome or other outside dependencies.  My main goal is to eventually port apps and utilities I can only currently find in Gnome/KDE and the like and bring them over to XFCE.

Not sure I want to go with C++ but  will if I have to, I have been looking at PyGTK, and PerlGTK3 with Glade to build apps with GUI's, am I moving away from what I really want to do here?

I gather I would need to get comfortable with some of the XFCE dev libraries to make things XFCE but don't want to start any bad habits seeing I am starting almost from scratch.

Hoping to get some good feedback/links/guides/advice that will assist me to achieve my goal.

Millzy

Last edited by millzy (2016-05-07 10:17:09)

#2 2016-05-08 01:01:11

ozjd
Website

Re: XFCE Development

The current focus in Xfce development is the porting to GTK3, see http://blog.alteroot.org/articles/2016- … -4.14.html. As always they need help there, the team is very small. I expect any help there would be greatly appreciated as well as give you a better understanding of Xfce.

Always nice to see another Aussie here too, smile

#3 2016-05-13 12:08:35

millzy
Website

Re: XFCE Development

Interesting development move going ahead there ozjd,

The change will open some exciting doors up for Xfce development, glad I was moving in a similar direction.

Board footer