Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-13 09:38:48

MGelbana

How to configure XFCE to handle hotkeys on key release ?

I guess XFCE handles hotkeys on key pressing, not on key releasing, which causes some shortcuts to be handled before being able to press the complete combination for the desired shortcut.

For example, when I attempt to press "Shift + Alt + S" (A hotkey for Eclipse IDE), I find my keyboard layout switched before I get the chance to press "S" because XFCE switches the keyboard layout when "Shift + Alt" is pressed. Then of course the shortcut isn't fired within Eclipse because the actual combination was "Shift + Alt + SOME_OTHER_CHARACTER"

I do not wan't to change these combinations because it is the same as that of Windows and I use Windows at work, so I don't want to confuse my self when I use Linux at home.

So how can I configure XFCE to process keyboard shortcuts\hotkeys on releasing them, not on pressing them ?

#2 2016-06-13 10:41:54

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to configure XFCE to handle hotkeys on key release ?

MGelbana wrote:

So how can I configure XFCE to process keyboard shortcuts\hotkeys on releasing them, not on pressing them ?

Have a read through this bug report.

The other option is to change the Alt + Shift keyboard shortcut for layouts. This is done at Settings Manager > Keyboard > Layout tab, "Change layout option".

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-02-02 18:54:19

PaperNick

Re: How to configure XFCE to handle hotkeys on key release ?

So, 3 years later I finally found a patch that actually works!
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xorg-server-bug865/
I also found a PPA which packages this patch for the Ubuntu family.
https://launchpad.net/~nrbrtx/+archive/ … rg-hotkeys

If somebody who's familiar with C reading this, can you please verify whether it's safe to apply this?
I'm a little paranoid when it comes to applying custom patches. I read through the changes, but since I'm not that fluent in C, I cannot say for sure.

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by PaperNick (2019-02-02 18:55:49)

Board footer