Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-22 21:37:23

lochtu

Wobbly-windows in xfce?

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there are any chances to have wobbly windows in xfce. In older posts, in other forums, some say to install "compiz" but, unfortunately, it's no longer available (and i don't know why, because it seems very cool!). I also tried to use the gnome extension but it didn't works, so... is it possible? I have Debian Jesse with xfce 4.10. Thanks in advance smile

Last edited by lochtu (2016-08-22 21:46:31)

#2 2016-08-23 00:18:02

MountainDewManiac

Re: Wobbly-windows in xfce?

Mint's developer seems to include Compiz (preinstalled) along with Xfce's default WM (Xfwm), so that users can choose that if they like. I confess that I haven't paid that much attention, because I am perfectly satisfied with Xfwm and - in general - favor using the components that the DE's developers intended to be used with that DE... But I think he (Clem) started including Compiz at some point in the 17.x versions of Mint Xfce and that the recently released Mint 18 Xfce continues this. Therefore, the simplest and most stable solution might be to install Mint 18 Xfce (supported until 2021) or one of the Mint 17.x versions (supported until 2019).

But, assuming that you are happy with your current distro in regards to everything else, and really, really, really want wobbly windows...

I typed "install Compiz in Debian" (sans quotation marks) into a web search engine, and this is the very first result on the results page (about 71,600 results, BtW):

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-install-compiz-debian-8x-jessie-shaun-marolf

I take it that this method no longer works? (Or you didn't bother to perform a simple search, lol?) I also found (again, from that simple web search) a thread about Compiz and Debian at the Debian User Forum:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126408

...from some of the comments in it, I get the impression that I am not the only one who is not in favor of installing third-party window managers, lol.

Now that I think about it, last I heard KWin had that wobbly windows "feature" ( roll ... I suppose that six-inch wide yellow go-fast stripes on a Chrysler minivan might be considered a feature, too, by some), too. Is there some reason that you would rather not install that? Or is that one not in Debian's repos, either?

Again, if you really, really, really want to use Compiz as your WM, there are ways. However... If that were the case for me (and, as mentioned, it is not - so I am merely speaking hypothetically here) and the developer of my distro had - for whatever reason - removed it from the repos... I would probably seek a different distro, because such a developer would, of course, do nothing in regards to trying to integrate this third-party WM with the DE, whereas one can assume that a developer who not only had Compiz in his repos but actually went so far as to include it as a preinstalled WM choice, lol, might do a little bit of work to smooth away any integration hurdles.

Oh, and it has been my (admittedly, limited) experience that, when the developer of a distro removes a piece of software from his/her repos, it is not simply a mistaken omission; instead, he/she likely had a reason for doing so...

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2016-08-23 00:21:18)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2016-08-23 08:04:51

lochtu

Re: Wobbly-windows in xfce?

It worked! Thanks!

Board footer