Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-03 15:16:18

rjflory

Desktop layout (shell position, etc.) lost or hosed on startup

XFCE: 4.12.1
Distro: Fedora Core 24, x86-84 (w/ latest updates as of Oct 3 2016)
Dual-monitor setup (2560x1440 x 2)
"Save session for future logins" enabled.

XFCE has had problems for several years when it comes to retaining settings across sessions, and 4.12 really does appear to be much, much better than previous versions, but I've lost all my settings on a fresh install about a dozen times now...   

I like to keep a LOT of Workspaces (10+) and shells ( total 30+ "terminals", perhaps 4..7 on each Workspace ) open, each with specific positions and layout, and would like this carefully created layout to be preserved when I restart XFCE the next time.

I've noticed that my settings are either completely lost, or all my shells are moved to a single workspace (all piled on top of each other) when I have filled about 4 pages of 7 or 8 shells each.  Put another way, a layout with lots of sells open on 3 Workspaces seems to work, but exiting after setting up the 4th workspace full of shells always results in all shells being gone, or all piled into a single workspace when I next startup XFCE.  This is very frustrating and time-wasting because I have to go back and start all over again (and again).

Is there an arbitrary limit on the number of items that may be stored in the layout history?

I have not been able to save usable snapshots of xfce .config files that may be restored after all my settings have been lost.

I have disabled this setting and it appeared to make things a little better (fewer random config losses) :
   Settings -> Window manager tweaks -> Accessibility -> Automatically tile windows when moving towards the screen edge.

ron

Last edited by rjflory (2016-10-03 15:17:21)

#2 2017-01-03 20:12:38

rjflory

Re: Desktop layout (shell position, etc.) lost or hosed on startup

This still seems to be a problem which happens when I close/save xfce, logout, login, then restart xfce.

I have noticed this does not seem to happen until i have opened more than 60 or so shells over several 'pages'.

Once I get past some magical threshold, all shells appear to open up all piled on top of each other on the right screen of the first page.

ron

#3 2017-01-03 21:24:12

ToZ
Administrator

rjflory wrote:

I have noticed this does not seem to happen until i have opened more than 60 or so shells over several 'pages'.

The trigger for me seems to be 50. When I open the 50th shell and save session and restore, all hell breaks loose. I'm not sure if this is a hard-coded limit or a bug, but you could file a bug report against the xfce4-session component.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2017-01-04 14:15:01

rjflory

Yeah, I just tried it again this morning.  I didn't count the exact number of shells opened over 8 or more 'pages', but this time when restarting XFCE, all previously opened shells were lost and all workspaces are empty.

Board footer