Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-05 01:54:35

deleted3

The Biggest "Problem" with Xfce ...

Xfce is one of the most stable De's out there. It's easy to customize. Its lightweight. Its modular. It gets the job done. However, whenever you read about DEs, Xfce get slammed for look "outdated," "ugly," "something from the 90s," etc. this of course is a bad wrap.

So my question is ... If the Biggest problem facing Xfce is that it "looks dated," then why not simply theme it out-of-the box?
Yes, yes I know most users are going to re-theme it anyway, but that is not the point. Its the whole idea that "only get one chance to make a first impression." If the out-of-the-box themeing was more modern, then one of the biggest so-called issues with Xfce could be quelled.

Ok ... I know what you are thinking ... what does modern even mean? My answer is ... let the community decide. Devs can come up with 3, 5, 7 (or however many) theme/style out-of-the-box choices and let the community vote on them. Examples could be something like any of the examples below or something totally different (it definitely does not have to be one of mine). The idea is to freshen up a bit and stifle the nay-sayers! Thoughts?

A Flat KDE-esque Style
PStOPAZ.png

Elementary/MATE Style
REareze.png

Chrome OS Style
hX305nT.png

Something Mac-esque
cCxXHG1.png

#2 2016-10-05 05:29:25

ozjd
Website

Re: The Biggest "Problem" with Xfce ...

It is up to the distros to choose the theme not the Xfce developers

#3 2016-10-05 11:19:02

deleted3

I am not talking about choosing a theme for a distro. I am referring to themeing vanilla xfce. The ootb xfce that is in the repos includes a base or starter theme. That is what I am talking about updating. That is what so many are complaining about on the various forums etc.

This updated look for vanilla xfce would give users less "DE-shock" whenever they add xfce to their current build to give it a try. The samples that I included in the previous post were just some sample ideas for themes and layout.

#4 2016-10-05 17:06:06

ToZ
Administrator

You might consider bringing this point up with the Xfce developers via the mailing list.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-10-06 01:08:21

deleted3

ToZ wrote:

You might consider bringing this point up with the Xfce developers via the mailing list.

Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

Board footer