Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-17 02:59:41

raincious

Please, don't use XScreenSaver any more :(

So I'm actually a new Xfce user here.

I was preparing for a DE switch last night, from GNOME to Xfce (Man! GNOME is demanding too many memory, right next to Firefox and Atom), that's why I'm here.

Almost everything works gorgeously after few twists, then I left my computer for a while.

When I came back, I saw, you know, the ugly little face, staring at me.

O.M.G. I can't bear it. So, you know, I did what I normally do:

First, I go to Screen Saver setting, disabled it. Then,

sudo dnf remove xscreensaver-tabtabtab

After that, the Lock Screen stopped working, as expected. So I install the gnome-screensaver, set it for bootup. Tried, worked.

Then once again, I left my computer for a while.

When I came back, O! M! G!!!, it's the XSceenSaver, Again! with even more ugly looking face! overlapping texts & window controls everywhere, I can't even click that password input. In desperation, I pressed ESC, the one finally let me enter my Xfce Desktop, and even the Desktop itself isn't working normally for a little while, I have to refresh all my windows to claim the system down.

In the fear of letting XSceenSaver continue possess my computer, I turned it off and stayed up all night long.

I don't know if it's necessary to take my computer to a crunch for further analysis sad

#2 2016-10-17 06:14:58

ozjd
Website

Re: Please, don't use XScreenSaver any more :(

xscreensaver isn't part of Xfce but is added but many distros. So you should report it to your distro, Fedora I guess. However I agree about xscreensaver, I always remove it too.

#3 2016-10-17 11:22:30

raincious

ozjd wrote:

xscreensaver isn't part of Xfce but is added but many distros. So you should report it to your distro, Fedora I guess. However I agree about xscreensaver, I always remove it too.

True. Fedora using XScreenSaver, and Debian too.

I just don't know why there are people who still using this old bone without renew it to make it more fancier for modern graphic sad

Last edited by raincious (2016-10-17 11:23:09)

#4 2016-10-17 21:47:42

ozjd
Website

raincious wrote:
ozjd wrote:

I just don't know why there are people who still using this old bone without renew it to make it more fancier for modern graphic sad

I do remember reading somewhere that the developers claim any attempt to update the graphics would reduce the security. Whether that is correct or not I can't say but either way it isn't really needed. Just use one of the screen lock applications. As you are on Fedora and it uses Lightdm you can use light-locker.

#5 2016-10-18 23:30:26

Sideburns
Website

If you want to get rid of xscreensaver and its hundreds of graphics and use gnome-screensaver with its dozens (and its gnome dependencies) instead, run this:

sudo dnf remove *xscreensaver*

Then log out and back in and you will have gotten rid of xscreensaver.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#6 2017-01-29 10:26:36

einexperte

raincious wrote:

Looks like Debian is switching to light-locker in Version 9 / Stretch: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=805711

XFCE 4.12 on Debian/Linux (Buster) in German (my translations may be inaccurate)

Board footer