Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-26 04:59:49

Kresp

No option for "Copy to clipboard on selection".

xfce4-terminal 0.8.0 only copies text you select with mouse to SELECTION area, and there is no option to also copy it to CLIPBOARD.
Is this a deliberate design choice or just has not been implemented yet?

#2 2016-10-26 05:45:09

ozjd
Website

Re: No option for "Copy to clipboard on selection".

It should automatically appear on the clipboard, if it doesn't that sounds like a bug and you should report it at https://bugzilla.xfce.org/

#3 2016-10-26 07:40:38

Kresp

#4 2016-10-26 11:12:37

ToZ
Administrator

You can use a tool like autocutsel to synchronize the PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD cut buffers. If you use the clipman plugin, there is an option there as well to synchronize them (but the clipman plugin must be running).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-10-27 00:28:00

Kresp

ToZ wrote:

You can use a tool like autocutsel to synchronize the PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD cut buffers.

Tried it. It will copy every selection in every application to clipboard as soon as your mark it. There is no whitelist to only do this on xfce4-terminal.

#6 2016-10-27 06:15:09

f2404
Website

ozjd wrote:

It should automatically appear on the clipboard, if it doesn't that sounds like a bug and you should report it at https://bugzilla.xfce.org/

Why do you think it should be automatically copied to the clipboard?
Text selection buffer is one thing, clipboard is a different one. There are shortcuts and menu actions to copy text to the clipboard in the terminal.

#7 2016-10-27 06:18:33

f2404
Website

Kresp wrote:

xfce4-terminal 0.8.0 only copies text you select with mouse to SELECTION area, and there is no option to also copy it to CLIPBOARD.
Is this a deliberate design choice or just has not been implemented yet?

No, there is no option to also copy selection to the clipboard, and I don't recall having such request.
Do you need it? Why don't use dedicated shortcuts?

#8 2016-10-27 06:49:05

Kresp

f2404 wrote:

Well. Only time I select anything with a mouse in a terminal window is when I need to copy selected text somewhere - to other terminal window, or to web browser for example. Pressing hotkeys in this situation is just redundant.

I think I will try to create patch to add this functionality as an option when I have some free time. Sounds trivial enough.
I'll share the patch if I actually ever get to this.

#9 2016-10-27 07:15:10

f2404
Website

Kresp wrote:
f2404 wrote:

Well. Only time I select anything with a mouse in a terminal window is when I need to copy selected text somewhere - to other terminal window, or to web browser for example. Pressing hotkeys in this situation is just redundant.

I think I will try to create patch to add this functionality as an option when I have some free time. Sounds trivial enough.
I'll share the patch if I actually ever get to this.

If you just need to copy a text from one app to another, you can normally paste it with middle mouse click. There's no need to use the clipboard in this scenario.

Patches are always welcome, however wink

Board footer