Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-01 15:35:54

asdfffdsa

Thunar - how to stop it from spinning up drives?

Hello, I have several drives connected to my machine that I only access occasionally so it makes sense to spin them down.  However, whenever I run thunar all of my drives spin up.  Then I have to manually spin them down again.  Is there any way to stop thunar from spinning up these drives?

Last edited by asdfffdsa (2016-12-01 15:36:19)

#2 2016-12-01 19:03:36

ComputerBob
Website

Re: Thunar - how to stop it from spinning up drives?

What happens if you leave those drives unmounted until you need to access them?

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

#3 2016-12-02 16:59:19

asdfffdsa

ComputerBob wrote:

What happens if you leave those drives unmounted until you need to access them?

I don't have the drives set to automount.  Each partition is listed in Thunar ("DEVICES" on the left) but they are not mounted when Thunar is started.

EDIT: Should clarify that thunar is not mounting them either.  The drives are not mounted before or after thunar is started but they are still spun up.

Last edited by asdfffdsa (2016-12-02 17:03:10)

#4 2016-12-03 06:09:08

ComputerBob
Website

Are your "occasionally used devices" external, so that you can easily physically disconnect them until those times when you need to use them?

I use an external USB drive for backups, but I leave it disconnected except for when I'm actually using it. By doing that, I avoid it spinning up all the time, plus I eliminate the chance that anything I do on my computer can damage the backed up data on that disconnected device.

The bad news is, I'm sorry, but that's the only suggestion I can think to give you at this time. The good news is that there are a lot of people here who have much more expertise than I do, so maybe one of them will be able to help you.  wink

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

Board footer