Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-28 01:27:36

kjohnstn

Missing scrollbars, missing button borders

I was using xfce4-session-4.10.1-7.fc21.x86_64 in fc21 for a long time, but finally had to upgrade to fc25 and xfce4-session-4.12.1-9.fc25.x86_64. Now I'm having problems with scrollbars and buttons. Some windows don't have a scrollbar at all (I see this in xfce terminal), some windows (Firefox) have an "empty" scrollbar, it works but there's no "slider" in it - and also the left/right mouse button behavior is reversed (drives me crazy!). In xfce-terminal, I also have other problems: There's no borders between tabs in the tab bar, no indication which tab is active, and no button borders in the toolbar, all the tools are just mashed together "FileEditViewTerminalTabsHelp". Button borders also missing in the Preferences window.
xfce-terminal (Fixed img url)

This post "Index » Desktop » Firefox: Missing checkbox / scrollbar indicator" (2016-06-16 01:20:35) looks very similar, but it only concerns Firefox. And it was supposedly fixed in ff48, but I'm still seeing it in ff50. And it wouldn't explain behavior outside of ff. Or maybe it's all related to gtk3?

Finally, one more item: I don't know if this is controlled by Firefox or by the window manager, but in Firefox if I click a download and "Save To File" I get a file manager popup, and it looks like Nautilus, and I hate it (hate, hate, hate!). I have Thunar as my preferred File Manager app, and ff always used a Thunar-like popup in the past.

Last edited by kjohnstn (2016-11-28 01:30:23)

#2 2016-11-28 05:49:56

ozjd
Website

Re: Missing scrollbars, missing button borders

Did you upgrade or do a clean installation of 25? If an upgrade you will need to change your theme to one which is gtk3.22 compatible, e.g. the current Greybird. i can see by your screenshot with the menu title squashed together that you are using a gtk2 only theme.

#3 2016-12-03 21:05:25

kjohnstn

I was sure I tried different themes, but I guess I wasn't paying attention. Okay, theme gives me scrollbars and button outlines where they were missing before. Thanks so much.

Any suggestions on my other questions:
1. Scrollbars: Sometimes still "warped", varies from one program to another.
2. Firefox "Save File" file manager popup: Used to be Thunar, now Nautilus, I desperately want Thunar back. Is this something that any xfce component can control, or is it compiled into Ff?

#4 2016-12-03 21:50:33

ozjd
Website

I don't use FF but if you have the Fedora Xfce spin you shouldn't have Nautilus installed. I know at Korora we use the Fedora spin as the base for our Xfce spin and it doesn't include Nautilus. Unless you use it for something else I would remove it. Check the dependencies it is removing with it though.

No idea about the warped scrollbars.I know the bars look different in some applications but nothing I would call warped.

#5 2016-12-04 22:53:24

cmcanulty

I second the firefox issue. I have thunar as my default file manager but firefox saves via nautilus. I have both for several issues that sometimes one is best and sometimes the other.

#6 2016-12-04 23:54:00

ToZ
Administrator

Firefox recently changed to a GTK3 build. What you are seeing is not the nautilus save as dialog, but the GTK3 save as dialog (Gtk3 GtkFileChooserDialog). Since nautilus is built on GTK3, the dialogs are the same. Prior to this, firefox was using the GTK2 save as dialog (Gtk2 GtkFileChooserDialog), same as Thunar does, because Thunar is still built using GTK2.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2016-12-05 10:54:11

cmcanulty

Ok thanks

Board footer