Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-12 10:00:50

gonzo28

Launching Application in different GTK style

Hello,

I use the Min-Y-Dark theme in general because I like it dark. Some application like Mediaelch have problems with this style, e.g. there are dark surfaces with dark text on it. So I tried launching Mediaelch with a different style. And I tried differend methods I found on the Internet. But it doesn't work. I also tried it with thunar as I thought Mediaelch doesn't support the methods but thunar also launches only in the dark theme I had setup before.

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/ MediaElch 
GTK_THEME=Adwaita thunar
GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/ thunar
GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/ thunar

#2 2016-12-12 15:01:35

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Launching Application in different GTK style

Hello and welcome.

There are a few things to sort out first:

1. If testing with Thunar, make sure that the "Thunar --daemon" is not running. It will re-use existing thunar processes and ignore these types of configuration changes. Try testing with another GTK2 app like xfce4-settings-editor.

2. GTK2_RC_FILES is used for GTK2 apps and GTK_THEME is used for GTK3 apps. You can quickly find out which version of GTK a specific app is compiled against using a command like:

ldd $(which thunar) | grep -i gtk

3. When using GTK2_RC_FILES, you need to specify a gtkrc file, like:

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc thunar

4. The theme that you are using to override, needs to override all configured components that the default theme has specified. In your case, Mint-Y-Dark has a lot of Thunar-specific configurations. Adwaita does not. In this particular case, there won't be much, if any, change. To see the GTK2_RC_FILES command working, set your theme to Adwaita and then try it with some other themes. E.g.

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Redmond/gtk-2.0/gtkrc xfce4-settings-editor

That being said, MediaElch is a QT app and as such, none of these will work with it. QT may have a similar method of overriding the theme for a specific application but I'm unaware of what it might be.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-12-12 21:15:14

ozjd
Website

Re: Launching Application in different GTK style

There are applications for configuring QT apps in GTK, qt-config for QT4 and qt5ct fir QT5. They differ in what you can configure but I'm guessing that is because of the different capabilities of each version.

Board footer