Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-18 13:26:20

xfcehard

hey i need to know if xfce can do this, thanks

hey i heard xfce had lots of settings

problem:

when you have chrome on a split screen, on win10, when you open a new chrome window (ctrl n)
it doesn't open the window in the same exact place

i need to know if you can set xfce in any way so that chrome opens in the same exact position so you dont have to reset the position again and again

if not, what other solutions should i look into? is there something else that has a lot more settings?

--

also i need some kind of text editor / word doc that

* shows nothing but the text (is 100% without boarders)
* can at a minimal 'bold'

it would show a list of key things i need
to keep constantly in mind

i would put it on the left side of the screen since most sites dont center the text

--

another solution is that the text editor / word doc can overlay all other apps
but that's likely not a very good solution at all now that i think about it

--

i also need to make sure that xfce can remove the icons next to the window titles

* on the 'taskbar'
* and when you alt tab
* and anywhere else that you dont actually need to see it

Last edited by xfcehard (2017-01-18 14:06:33)

#2 2017-01-18 14:53:30

ToZ
Administrator

Re: hey i need to know if xfce can do this, thanks

xfcehard wrote:

problem:

when you have chrome on a split screen, on win10, when you open a new chrome window (ctrl n)
it doesn't open the window in the same exact place

i need to know if you can set xfce in any way so that chrome opens in the same exact position so you dont have to reset the position again and again

if not, what other solutions should i look into? is there something else that has a lot more settings?

If the application does not support exact window placement, then Xfwm (Xfce's window manager) uses Smart Placement to determine its position. More information about smart placement can be found in this thread. If you want exact placement, you'll need to use a utility like devilspie.

also i need some kind of text editor / word doc that

* shows nothing but the text (is 100% without boarders)
* can at a minimal 'bold'

it would show a list of key things i need
to keep constantly in mind

i would put it on the left side of the screen since most sites dont center the text

No sure what you mean by "no borders", but it sounds like you are looking for a sticky notes app of sorts. Have a look at xfce4-notes (though it doesn't look like it can do selective bolding, but you can select which font to use). Xfce's default text editor is called "Mousepad". It should be in your distro's repositories if you want to check it out. It will do selective bolding.

i also need to make sure that xfce can remove the icons next to the window titles

Settings Manager > Window Manager > Style Tab. Drag and drop the "Menu" button from the Active Button Layout section to the Inactive section.

* on the 'taskbar'

See https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8549

* and when you alt tab

Let me have a look....
Doesn't look like its possible to hide the icon. You can change the size but not hide it.

* and anywhere else that you dont actually need to see it

Can you specify where these other locations are that you want to remove the icon?

Last edited by ToZ (2017-01-18 17:34:24)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-01-18 23:16:20

xfcehard

"If the application does not support exact window placement"

how to find out if chrome does?

if you're full screen, and new window, then new window is full

but if chrome is in a split, then the new windows opens a little to the right and bottom of the initial

#4 2017-01-18 23:22:46

xfcehard

oh... i thought there was just like 1 option where you can just select to remove all the icons

wow you know where to find all your stuff!!!!

i'll keep looking into the editor thing (with a minimal clean UI design)

you likely know 1000x more about linux world than me so what's something else i can look into for the chrome thing

something that is the most 'very very very highly customisable' when it comes to UI/layout/desktop design, or is xcfe the only thing currently

Last edited by xfcehard (2017-01-18 23:24:16)

#5 2017-01-18 23:55:37

ToZ
Administrator

xfcehard wrote:

"If the application does not support exact window placement"

how to find out if chrome does?

It doesn't. It leaves it up to the window manager to make that decision.

if you're full screen, and new window, then new window is full

but if chrome is in a split, then the new windows opens a little to the right and bottom of the initial

Looks like there is an extension that you can use to fix this issue.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2017-01-19 02:11:31

xfcehard

wow you know what to search for...

so common/popular apps usually don't 'open in the same place' -- if it's not full screen?

i dont think there any other apps i would have multiple for at least a year, but in case

it sounds like this 'smart placement' is more complicated than a few set of rules

would it be as hard to find out how macos, win10, chromeos place their windows (if not full screen) also?

#7 2017-01-19 03:46:49

ToZ
Administrator

In linux, any application can include code to ensure that the window will open in a specific location. Some do, most don't. I don't have a definitive list. If the application does not, the window manager will manage window placement. Each window manager can do it differently. Xfwm happens to use smart placement.

You can bypass xfwm's smart placement by using a tool like devilspie, which can be configured to force window locations on the screen.

#8 2017-01-19 05:27:15

xfcehard

a chrome ext 'window seat' sets a specific position and is likely what devilspie does

all the reviews for those two ext are 'way beyond positive'

this is just really bad ux design from chrome, for the users that care, almost all users want a new window of the same app in the same place

and not having it in the same position does harm to those users

Last edited by xfcehard (2017-01-19 05:27:31)

#9 2017-01-20 12:56:32

gnanini

I don't think everyone wants windows on the same place ever.... You are assuming too much...

use devilspie... its not that difficult.... I use it...

Board footer