Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-02 07:21:37

musicmatze

Why is state and config saved in the same place?

Hi,

I'm a new xfce user. I was on i3 for ~7 years now, first with Archlinux, for the last two years with NixOS. I gave xfce a try yesterday and liked it so far. :-)

The thing is: syncing configuration with my previous setup was really easy! I checked my i3 configuration into git and that was it. With xfce, this is more complicated, as xfce saves state and configuration in the same files.

For example: If I use a background that changes each 10 minutes, the configuration/state file contains a new path for the "current background" parameter every 10 minutes - making version controlling it with git absolutely not possible!

Is there a way to change this or another solution to my problem?

If not... I guess I have to file a feature request! :-)

#2 2017-02-02 14:52:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Why is state and config saved in the same place?

Hello and welcome.

Xfce uses xfconf as a configuration storage system for most but not all components. Some still use rc files (e.g. some of the panel plugins) while others use gconf (e.g. mousepad). So yes, it won't be as simple a task as it is with i3.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-02-03 11:35:59

musicmatze

Heyhey, thanks for your reply! I guess I will not sync configs then, only the shortcuts I guess, because they are crucial for me. Thanks again for your reply!

#4 2017-02-03 13:47:21

ToZ
Administrator

You might want to take a look at the xfconf-query command. You can use it to dump current xfconf settings that you can store into a file. It should also be possible to create a script to read those entries and re-create them if you need to restore them.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer