Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-07 19:19:35

wet-dog
Website

(mousepad:1152)

Hello
Would some here be able to help me with this? I am using debian testing with xfce4 (4.12) binary packages. After an update mousepad started to lag. That is when I select file from the menubar, it froz for a little, then the menu came down and all was fine till close. Hung a bit till it close. If I used any other drop down first from the bar, (edit, search, view) all is fine until I get to file menu. xsession errors return:

"(mousepad:1152): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed"

About 25 thousand times. Mousepad is the only application effected. I tried re installing without removing deps, with no help. I been waiting about a week to see a new update fixed but not as of yet.

Web search (GLib-GObject-CRITICAL) not giving me anything to go on, not understanding what the issue is totally. Is this something I should be able to fix?

There is some other xsession warnings but they where there before the mousepad lag.

Xsession: X session started for me at Tue Feb  7 12:42:12 CST 2017
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/me/.Xauthority
localuser:me being added to access control list
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_LINUX_ACCESSIBILITY_ALWAYS_ON=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting USER=me
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting HOME=/home/me
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DESKTOP_SESSION=lightdm-xsession
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_LINUX_ACCESSIBILITY_ALWAYS_ON=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LOGNAME=me
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDM_LANG=en_US.utf8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANG=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=lightdm-xsession
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/me/.Xauthority
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm/data/me
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHELL=/bin/bash
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDMSESSION=lightdm-xsession
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PWD=/home/me
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/xfce4:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/
/usr/bin/x-session-manager: X server already running on display :0
xfce4-session-Message: SSH authentication agent is already running
gpg-agent[974]: WARNING: "--write-env-file" is an obsolete option - it has no effect
gpg-agent: a gpg-agent is already running - not starting a new one

(xfce4-session:967): xfce4-session-WARNING **: gpg-agent returned no PID in the variables

(wrapper-2.0:1040): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:47: The style property GtkWidget:focus-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(wrapper-2.0:1040): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:79: The style property GtkWidget:focus-line-width is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(wrapper-2.0:1040): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:109: The style property GtkButton:default-border is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(wrapper-2.0:1040): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:137: The style property GtkButton:inner-border is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(wrapper-2.0:1040): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -3 (allocation 1, extents 2x2) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PulseaudioButton)

#2 2017-02-07 20:14:54

ToZ
Administrator

Re: (mousepad:1152)

Which version of mousepad?

mousepad -v

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-02-07 21:33:39

wet-dog
Website

Mousepad 0.4.0 Copyright (c) 2007 The Xfce development team. All rights reserved.

Sorry forgot that.

I'm slow and a search for GLib and GObject I found "GLib and GObject are 2 separate C libraries from which the GTK+ GUI toolkit is built". I have been working on gtk3 styling so gtk3 apps and gtk2 apps theme look the same. I have xfce-gtk3-engine installed. But everything was working fine until the update. I should have paid better attention to what was updated. But if I remember correctly, it may have been C library. But a lot of updates came out last week.

Added
Thunar right click menu create new document takes a long time to open, but no errors.

in terminal su root > login > thunar or mousepad as root runs like grease lighting. No lags what so ever.

Added
New warning way at the bottom of the 25 thousand mousepad warnings.

(xfce4-session:916): xfce4-session-WARNING **: ICE connection 0x5633530cc430 rejected

Thats probable running apps as root in a user session.

xfce4-mixer was dropped, I hope mousepad is not going to be. Really like that editor.

Last edited by wet-dog (2017-02-07 22:48:17)

#4 2017-02-08 00:15:14

ToZ
Administrator

Just looked at the debian testing mousepad package and it includes some of the post 0.4.0 bug fixes, so its probably not something that has been fixed in the git tree but not yet released. I also found this bug report that may or may not be related. The output in the gdb trace of that bug report looks similar.

On my Arch system, I don't see the hang or the messages, so it must be specific to Debian (or your install).

Can you create another user on your system and log in with that user to see of the problem exists there. Keep all of the configuration settings at their base values and see if you can replicate the problem.

I have been working on gtk3 styling so gtk3 apps and gtk2 apps theme look the same. I have xfce-gtk3-engine installed. But everything was working fine until the update.

As an FYI if you're using the gtk3-engine for styling, GTK3 (which mousepad is based on) has deprecated the use of gtk-engines - they won't work anymore. Only css styling is accepted now. This change happened mid-3.x series, but I'm certain that Debian testing is using the newer GTK3 versions that no longer use gtk-engines. Can you try changing your theme back to the default to see if the problem persists?

Added
Thunar right click menu create new document takes a long time to open, but no errors.
in terminal su root > login > thunar or mousepad as root runs like grease lighting. No lags what so ever.

Would seem to indicate some sort of profile issue. See if a second user account experiences the same.

xfce4-mixer was dropped, I hope mousepad is not going to be. Really like that editor.

xfce4-mixer was at one point deprecated because it requires gstreamer 0.10 which is no longer being developed. That being said, it should still work as long as the gstreamer 0.10 packages are available in your distro's repositories. In addition, it was recently ported to GTK3 in the git tree - so its still alive. Mousepad will continue to exist, there are no plans to deprecate that.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-02-08 02:32:15

wet-dog
Website

ToZ wrote:

Can you create another user on your system and log in with that user to see of the problem exists there. Keep all of the configuration settings at their base values and see if you can replicate the problem.

New user account worked mousepad and thunar responding nicely, even with my theme.

I tried going back to default theme, no luck. Is there a way to clean up the original profile?

Thanks for the help ToZ, even though it was not a xfce issue you went the mile.

#6 2017-02-08 02:43:50

ToZ
Administrator

No worries, glad I could help.

Try clearing your sessions cache. While not logged in, delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions.

If you have any gtk overrides in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and/or ~/.config/gtk-3.0/*, disable them to see if that helps.

Have a look at your startup applications (Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application Autostart). If there are any extras over and beyond what are in the default set for the second user, temporarily disable them.

Also, how do you log into Xfce? Do you use a display manager or just startx with xinitrc files? If the later, review those startup files.

If none of them work, you may need to re-create your profile.

#7 2017-02-08 16:56:01

wet-dog
Website

I emptied the user folders /Templates ~/.icons, ~/.themes and mousepad runs now. The new user created is not in the bin/bash group. So I'm thinking the original user was running scripts I had in /Templates ~/.icons, ~/.themes. So it was me not the updates. Thanks ToZ.

Board footer