Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-12 22:34:06

MoonKid

xfwm4 doesn't start in Siduction

I use Siduction (Debian unstable) as distribution. In the last time there where no xfce-related updates and everything worked fine.

But now xfwm4 doesn't start while boot. xfce-session is working. I see my background picture, I can click on it and see the applications menu. I can open a terminal emu from there and start "xfwm4" manually. Than everything looks fine.

I can't find anything related to that with journalctl.

How and where is xfwm4 started normaly? Where should I look to do a diagnosis?

#2 2016-12-12 23:40:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfwm4 doesn't start in Siduction

First try clearing your saved sessions cache. To be absolutely sure, delete the ~/.cache/sessions folder while not logged in. Its possible that your session was somehow saved without xfwm4 and on ever startup it is now excluded from starting. Clearing the sessions cache will restore the default startup components.

xfwm4 is usually started via xfce4-session.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-12-29 20:17:41

MoonKid

That fixed the problem. Thanks.

#4 2017-02-10 08:42:07

MoonKid

I observed that behaviour the last weeks. Starting XFCE takes a long time.
Everytime when I delete ~/.cache/sessions the starting is quite fast and correct (with all my settings, widgets, background pictures).

So why is there that ~/.cache/sessions folder, why does XFCE use it, do I realy need it?
It definitly doesn't speed up the startup process - it slows it down! A cache shouldn't behave like that, shouldn't it?

#5 2017-02-10 11:32:01

ToZ
Administrator

MoonKid wrote:

So why is there that ~/.cache/sessions folder, why does XFCE use it,

xfce4-session contains the functionality to allow you to save and re-use sessions (open applications) on successive logins.

do I realy need it?

Some people use it, some don't.

It definitly doesn't speed up the startup process - it slows it down! A cache shouldn't behave like that, shouldn't it?

The Arch wiki has information on how to disable this functionality if you don't want it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2017-02-11 05:34:17

MoonKid

ToZ wrote:

xfce4-session contains the functionality to allow you to save and re-use sessions (open applications) on successive logins.

Yes, I know that. But beside of the question if I have enabled or disabled that feauter there is nothing to save if no window is open.
I go to hibernate (suspend-to-disk) or totaly shutdown (after closing all windows manually!) the system. So there is no session to save. But xfce save something in there.

ToZ wrote:

The Arch wiki has information on how to disable this functionality if you don't want it.

I think it is outdated. The settings path there doesn't exists.

Bu in my xfce-session-Settings dialog (Debian unstable) the checkbox on "Save session while logoff" (translated from german) was disabled. But xfce store something.

$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -p /general/SaveOnExit
false

Does this sound like a bug I should report?

#7 2017-02-11 18:20:38

ToZ
Administrator

I think it is outdated. The settings path there doesn't exists.

I should have been more specific. Try the suggestion where you disable write access to the session directory - that should prevent the session manager from adding anything in there.

Does this sound like a bug I should report?

You could file a bug report, but I believe there are a number there already. Have a look through the list to see if any apply and you can add your information to it.

#8 2017-02-11 19:08:30

MoonKid

Board footer