Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-17 04:36:12

etothepii

Xfwm4 and Conky - Screen Redraw/Artifacts Problem

Hello,

I just started using the Fedora 25 Xfce spin, and I'm running into a problem when I run conky.

When I turn on partial transparency in Conky, after several minutes I begin to see screen redraw problems (usually after several minutes, and after the screensaver has engaged once) - the screen will redraw a previous state, redrawing part of the screen as it was earlier (it might overlay a part of a screensaver over the current workspace, or make a window suddenly invisible).

It's easier to show than to describe - here's a screenshot after the problem occurred.
http://imgur.com/8m9775l

There's a terminal window in the foreground, but the display refreshed and it was gone. Moving my mouse over the invisible terminal window caused some elements to re-appear (like the scroll bars).

The .conkyrc that causes this is available here:
http://pastebin.com/A0pVHKRb

I know conky is definitely causing the problem to manifest (killing conky causes all window distortion to resolve immediately), but I'm not sure beyond that.

Graphics driver is radeon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by etothepii (2017-02-17 04:38:55)

#2 2017-02-17 06:19:32

ozjd
Website

Re: Xfwm4 and Conky - Screen Redraw/Artifacts Problem

You can look at .xsession-errors for any helpful messages although unless you start conky with the -q option it will probably be full of conky messages.

Have you experimented with other own_window_type settings? Maybe desktop might help.

BTW your conkyrc is in the old format for 1.9 and earlier versions. In Fedora it automatically converts to the 1.10 format but it may not work for all configs. However your conkyrc is pretty basic and should work. I have a couple running in Korora (which is basically Fedora) and they work fine.

#3 2017-02-17 09:49:07

etothepii

Both own_window_type to both desktop and override still appear to have a problem. So far, the only way I've found to completely fix it is to disable compositing in xfwm4's settings.

Last edited by etothepii (2017-02-17 09:51:54)

#4 2017-02-17 21:06:18

ozjd
Website

etothepii wrote:

Both own_window_type to both desktop and override still appear to have a problem. So far, the only way I've found to completely fix it is to disable compositing in xfwm4's settings.

That suggests it is more a graphics driver problem than a Conky issue.

One thing I did notice is that you use xscreensaver. I have removed that and use LightLocker for screen locking. It may not be part of the problem but you did mention that this only happens after xscreensaver has activated.

Board footer