Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-15 12:15:29

Imerion

[Solved] Adjust the edge for Edge Scrolling

This might not be the correct place to post this, but I am actually not sure what this is related too. This may sound odd, but one of the reasons I started using Linux full-time and removing my last windows installations many years ago was that touch-pads actually was a useful tool in Linux compared to in Windows. Not only did they respond better, but the edge-scrolling (which frankly never worked in windows) worked perfectly in Linux and was super-responsive. smile To this day edge-scrolling has worked perfectly on all laptops I have used, but on my current one it doesn't. Or rather, it does work, but only on the last millimeter of the touchpad, making it almost impossible to use.

What I wonder is, is there any setting that will let me adjust the "scrolling zone"? Just moving it a few millimeters to the left would make it perfectly usable.
I really don't like two-finger scrolling, so I'd rather not use that.

Last edited by Imerion (2017-03-16 14:49:17)

#2 2017-03-15 12:43:00

alcornoqui

Re: [Solved] Adjust the edge for Edge Scrolling

Settings > Mouse and Touchpad > Touchpad tab > Scrolling:

Scrolling

Disabled
        Disable scrolling with the touchpad. This will unset both the device properties below.
Edge scrolling
        When this is selected, dragging your finger up and down along the right side of your touchpad will scroll vertically. If you also select Enable horizontal scrolling, dragging your finger left and right along the bottom of your touchpad will scroll horizontally. This will set the device property Synaptics Edge Scrolling.
Two-finger scrolling
        When this is selected, tapping and dragging with one finger will work as normal, but if you drag two fingers across any part of the touchpad, it will scroll instead. If you also select
Enable horizontal scrolling
        You can move your fingers left and right to scroll horizontally. Be careful to space your fingers a bit apart. If your fingers are too close together, they just look like one big finger to your touchpad. This will set the device property Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling.

Enable horizontal scrolling
    Allow scrolling horizontal. The way horizontal scrolling works depends on the Scrolling type you've selected.

For more complicated things, check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

#3 2017-03-15 14:40:49

Imerion

Nice! That wiki game me the answer. "synclient RightEdge" was the one I was looking for. So when I ran "synclient RightEdge=1000" edge-scroll works perfect again. Thanks!

#4 2017-03-15 15:32:58

alcornoqui

Happy to help. Add a [SOLVED] tag to the post's title, please.

Board footer