Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-22 06:35:54

rickst29

A new bail-out from Plasma/Kwin/Qt5 ....

Hi, everyone. It's nice to be here!

A few years ago, I did a bit of work in Qt 5.0/5.2, enabling it to handle button events AND button-mask states for up to 32 mouse buttons. My long-term goal was to enhance KDE's Window Manager and Desktop (KWin and Plasma) to reach feature parity with Compiz, in the area of Window and Desktop manipulation.

But KDE management prefers to consider "Multiple Desktops" to be "dead" (replaced by "Activities", even though Activity Switching has no "wall", no "spinning cube", etc.). I feel that "Activites" are a somewhat nice idea, but they don't replace desktops - the two concepts are orthogonal. For example, my "work activity" would involve one email account, a few specialized applications -while my "programming activity" would involve a different email, and a bunch of other applications. Each activity would need 4 or 6 "deskrops", and a couple of the desktops would be shared (within BOTH "Activities").

But, during the re-implementation of Plasma and Kwin from KDE-4 to "Version 5", the KDE software "stack" lost some critical bits of usability. Different backgrounds on different "Desktops" is impossible, and "screen edge" desktop switching doesn't work anymore. The regression of those two features has finally convinced me to hunt for a new Desktop Environment, and I have ended up here - on xfce. I've got no "wall", and I've got no "cube" - but I've got the critical features, and I'm pleased.

My main Distro is OpenSuse "Tumbleweed" - I like to try and things, even when they're broken. I have legacy Red Hat on an an at-work production system, and a couple of "smaller" Distros which I run as a Test/Integration "beta test" volunteer.

Last edited by rickst29 (2017-03-22 06:50:53)

#2 2017-03-22 06:43:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: A new bail-out from Plasma/Kwin/Qt5 ....

Hello and welcome to the forums.

If you're interested, Xfce is always looking for people to contribute.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-03-22 06:55:07

rickst29

Re: A new bail-out from Plasma/Kwin/Qt5 ....

Thank you ! After I become more familiar with the architecture and future plans of the Xfce environment, I might have some ideas smile

Board footer