Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-22 04:17:10

axellexamarimba

Changing icon theme in panel

Hi, I've been using xfce for a while now, it's great. perfect for what I need. My only problem is that my icon theme looks good everywhere except for the panel.
I would like to find a way to override the icon pack set by my settings manager and use a different icon pack in the panel specifically. Is there any way to do this? I've had a look thru the xconf .xml files and can't find anything I feel too confident messing with. Thank you for helping me achieve my aesthetic goals.

#2 2017-03-22 12:19:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Changing icon theme in panel

Hello and welcome.

axellexamarimba wrote:

I would like to find a way to override the icon pack set by my settings manager and use a different icon pack in the panel specifically.

In this case, you could create your own icon theme and have it inherit the icon theme you want to override. Then add the icons to your theme for the panel items in question. You would be able to select this new icon theme from the settings manager and it would use the icons you've placed in the theme, taking precedence over the icons from the theme that was inherited.

A quick and dirty way to do this is to copy the icon theme that you are using to ~/.icons and re-name the folder. Delete all the files inside of the folders in this icon theme except index.theme. Change the "Name" entry in that file to match the directory name and add/edit an "Inherits" line that only has one item - the name of the theme that you are overriding. Now add to this theme, in the proper locations and using the proper file names, the icons that you want to replace. Make sure you run:

gtk-update-icon-cache ~/.icons/MY_ICON_THEME

...priot to selecting it from the settings manager.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-03-24 08:03:55

axellexamarimba

Re: Changing icon theme in panel

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll try it now and let you know how it goes.

Board footer