Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-31 08:31:00

wolf

using panel menu to restart computer hides BIOS splash and grub

This is an odd bug—hope someone might have some insight.

Problem: Use XFCE panel to restart computer => no BIOS splash or grub displays (instead: black screen, though the software is running as normal, it does not display)
However: Manually power cycle computer (from PC tower, not from XFCE panel) after booting into OS lock screen => BIOS splash and grub show as normal

Took many hours of troubleshooting to put this concisely. I used to restart/shut down my computer through the panel menu, but I started having the stated issue within the last month or two (Manjaro XFCE rolling release). There's something about shutting down with the panel that changes how the BIOS splash & grub display. (I tried different monitor ports, both on integrated and NVIDIA graphics card. BIOS hasn't changed. Have no issues restarting from other OSes/partitions, which helped me realize that XFCE might be setting some graphical flag when I use the panel session menu.) Didn't see anything recently reported in the xfce4-session tracker, but I suspect it to be the culprit. Or might this be a Manjaro implementation issue? Any ideas on how to proceed?

Last edited by wolf (2017-03-31 19:44:06)

#2 2017-03-31 12:03:49

ToZ
Administrator

Re: using panel menu to restart computer hides BIOS splash and grub

Hello and welcome.

This is really odd. When you say that you use the panel to restart the computer, what exactly are you using? A specific plugin, the panel logout option, the whisker menu?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-03-31 19:28:56

wolf

Primarily the Action Buttons plugin but same results from using Whisker Menu's options, which is why I think it has to do with the xfce session.

I'm only seeing one recent edit to `session`, though...

Last edited by wolf (2017-03-31 19:46:53)

#4 2017-04-01 14:59:23

ToZ
Administrator

This is very odd. They all use dbus for those actions (shutdown, restart, suspend, etc) but I don't see how a session-based activity would affect a boot action.

There were some dbus changes made to xfce4-session back in June of last year. Can you grab from your pacman logs (/var/log/pacman.log) the update changes, dates and versions made to xfce4-session? Maybe those changes were just recently added to the manjaro repositories.

BTW, I run Xfce from the git tree so I have the latest version of xfce4-session and I don't experience the problem that you are describing. This is on Arch.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-04-08 22:07:09

wolf

I tested `reboot` in Xfce Terminal and had the same issue—does xfce4-session handle that too? Perhaps it's something with Manjaro's installation, as I have the same issue on a clean install. (Manjaro thread here.) Would you know how to capture relevant logs for this? I didn't have any changes to xfce4-session in pacman.log, which only goes back to November.

Last edited by wolf (2017-04-08 22:08:15)

#6 2017-04-09 00:00:47

ToZ
Administrator

wolf wrote:

I tested `reboot` in Xfce Terminal and had the same issue—does xfce4-session handle that too?

No it doesn't. That's a system action .

Would you know how to capture relevant logs for this? I didn't have any changes to xfce4-session in pacman.log, which only goes back to November.

If you're having the same issue running "reboot", I would look at the systemd journal.

Board footer