Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-20 18:17:32

Mellowbob

Panel launcher icon

Just returned to xfce4 after a few years in the wilderness. Managed to get just about everything working ... expect for a custom program launcher. I added the "Program Launcher" to the panel and added a few of my own programs to it. Not problems ... except that the launcher just shows up as an invisible square on the panel. It is taking up the the right amount of room, and if I click it my menu items are displayed. But, I can't seem to change the "blank" and certain see no way to add my preferred icon.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Running xfce 4.12 on ubunutu 17.04.

Thanks.

#2 2017-04-20 23:12:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel launcher icon

Can you post back a screenshot?

Is it one launcher with multiple entries so that when you click on it it displays a listing of all those entries? If so, does changing the "Arrow Button Position" (Launcher properties > Advanced tab) make a difference?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-04-20 23:44:07

Mellowbob

Yes, that's right.

I have set the arrow to <inside button>. Which means that I have to click on the applet to bring up a listing from which to select. This works fine.

If I set <show label instead of icon> I get the text for the 1st entry. But, I really want my own text (like MY STUFF) or a icon to be displayed. Problem is that there really doesn't seem to be an option for that.

Ahh, got it! Seems that I have to associate an icon with the first option in the pull down! That works, but would be nice to be able to have something different in the panel and for the 1st item.

#4 2017-04-21 00:02:42

ToZ
Administrator

Mellowbob wrote:

Ahh, got it! Seems that I have to associate an icon with the first option in the pull down! That works, but would be nice to be able to have something different in the panel and for the 1st item.

You could create a dummy launcher as your first launcher. It doesn't launch anything but it shows the icon that you want.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-04-21 00:08:43

Mellowbob

ToZ wrote:
Mellowbob wrote:

You could create a dummy launcher as your first launcher. It doesn't launch anything but it shows the icon that you want.

Yeah. But, then I have a dead item in my menu which I'm sure will confuse me even more smile

Board footer