Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-10 09:01:30

all-black-background

spurious mouse clicks from touch pad and turn off pad while typing

after installing Ubuntu 17.04,  new distro and new experience, and installing xfce4, went to type in emacs, and the spurious mouse clicks made it very difficult.

found on the touch pad settings a curious box to turn off the mouse pad while typing.  Good idea.  However it doesn't turn off the clicks due to control-mouse-1 etc.   Thus creating an interaction between spurious clicks on the keyboard, giving one the impression that the keyboard caused clicks.  (took a while to figure that out!)

Nice feature to turn off the pad while typing but need to catch those control combinations for the feature to work.

How can I do this?  Would like to use this system. 

BTW, the root problem with the pad with this driver appears to be that sensitivity increases with time.  Seems the pad needs to be reset or discharged or something.  In any case turning it off while typing would be helpful.   

Thanks!

#2 2017-05-10 14:23:39

ToZ
Administrator

Re: spurious mouse clicks from touch pad and turn off pad while typing

However it doesn't turn off the clicks due to control-mouse-1 etc.   Thus creating an interaction between spurious clicks on the keyboard, giving one the impression that the keyboard caused clicks.  (took a while to figure that out!)

Interesting. According to http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/mouse#touchpad, all the source code does is basically run "syndaemon -i 2.0 -K -R" when that option is selected. However, when I run that command manually, I get the same issue. According to the syndaemon man page:

-k     Ignore modifier keys when monitoring keyboard activity.

-K     Like -k but also ignore Modifier+Key combos.

Perhaps this is a bug with syndaemon?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer