Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-13 14:31:56

tracek

Thunar 1.6.11 freezing when files are modified by external process

Hi,

I am running Xubuntu 16.04 with Thunar 1.6.11 sitting on NVMe drive. Thunar is giving me a headache and I would very much welcomed some suggestions. The application is sometimes freezing when some external process is writing to a file location on which I have view with Thunar.

How to replicate:
1. Open /home/user/mydirectory in Thunar
2. Start my own process that will consistently write to /home/user/mydirectory . It can be new creating files or modifying the old ones, e.g. a Python script will output results to mydirectory. The problem can also appear if I simply edit files stored in mydirectory with an editor (PyCharm).
3. The problem does not occur if I do file operations from OS / Thunar level.

It's not perfectly reproducible and always requires some time before the freeze occurs. When it happens, starting new Thunar instance takes ~15s. After I kill the hanging instance, it starts as usual (fast).

Would stack trace help to diagnose the issue?

I am using also Krusader and there's no such problem.

Cheers,
Lucas

#2 2017-05-13 17:12:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar 1.6.11 freezing when files are modified by external process

Hello and welcome.

It sounds alot like this bug which was fixed and released to the git tree in this commit but has not yet been officially released. However, according to this launchpad bug report the bug was fixed in the *buntus and released in thunar (1.6.11-1ubuntu1), but I can't seem to figure out it the patch was back-ported to xenial. Based on the information here, it does not appear to have been.

Can you confirm the exact version of thunar that you have installed:

apt-cache policy thunar

If you don't have 1.6.11-1ubuntu1 installed and it's not available in your repositories, you'll need to follow up with the xubuntu developers and ask them to back-port the patch.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-05-16 06:03:33

tracek

Hi ToZ,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and help. The bug you linked sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. My version is 1.6.11-0ubuntu0, meaning the system is most likely affected. I will ask devs to backport it.

EDIT: it seems it's already in staging area:
https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+arc … tu-staging

Thanks again!

Last edited by tracek (2017-05-16 06:05:17)

#4 2017-05-17 15:17:29

notabot

I had this issue with thunar for maybe 5+ years (as long as i can remember). Fantastic news if its finally fixed.

#5 2017-05-17 20:47:47

tracek

notabot wrote:

I had this issue with thunar for maybe 5+ years (as long as i can remember). Fantastic news if its finally fixed.

Yup, I can confirm it's fixed. It's the first time I encountered it and already after a week it was driving me crazy... 5 years - wow smile.

#6 2017-05-18 06:33:42

MountainDewManiac

Five years? I thought this particular bug only started in versions after 1.6.3. Learn something every day, I suppose.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer