Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-11 08:45:49

Friedrich

Dolphin + Xubuntu: white text with white background when select folder

Hi,

normally i use kubuntu 16.04, but kde/plasma something is a little bit strange. so i installed xubuntu 16.04 and dolphin (for me the best file manager on linux). when i select a folder in folder view all is ok, the text is white with blue border. but when i move the mouse over the selected folder i can't see the text anymore. the text is white and the border also. this only happens in dolphin (as i can say). in an other forum i've read that this has something to do with the "glowing" effect in kde?

i've tried different color themes, but the problem is still there. is also installed kde systemsettings but there is nothing where i can disable glowing or change the color. can i edit this by changing something in xfce files?

friedrich

#2 2017-03-11 10:32:29

sixsixfive
Website

Re: Dolphin + Xubuntu: white text with white background when select folder

whats the output of

env|grep QT_

if the platformtheme is set to GTK+ then there is your issue.

#3 2017-03-12 10:06:36

Friedrich

env|grep QT_
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk
QT_LINUX_ACCESSIBILITY_ALWAYS_ON=1
QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
QT_IM_MODULE=

you mean the first line? how can i fix that?

#4 2017-03-12 13:11:13

sixsixfive
Website

is the issue fixed if you run it with?

QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=fusion dolphin

also the QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE is probably set either in /etc/environment, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/$SOMEFILE, ~/.profile or ~./xprofile

you can also use a matchin but native qt theme like breeze: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=44721#p44721

#5 2017-05-29 12:03:08

Friedrich

Sorry for the late reply. Yes this fixes the error, but now Dolphin looks strange (for my). how can i find out with qt styles are installed?

with qt5ct i can configure qt5 settings (https://github.com/mati75/qt5ct). can i configure it in a way so that dolphin looks like when i start it without QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE but without the error this thread is about?

#6 2017-05-29 14:25:04

sixsixfive
Website

how can i find out with qt styles are installed?

they should be installed in the QT_LIBDIR an debian this is:

/usr/lib/$(gcc -print-multiarch)/qt5/plugins/styles/

yes with qt5qt you can configure the look of qt5 apps, you could also load a global qt stylesheet(CSS) that fixes the issue in dolphin

#7 2017-05-30 10:42:42

Friedrich

why not downloading a deb file of qt5tc or installing it using apt-get? https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/16.04/webupd8-a … 4.deb.html

i've installed it with the ppa, i hope this also works. but i can't start qt5tc using terminal. there is a point in settings (qt5 settings) that i can't remember. is this for starting qt5tc? when i start it there is a error. i have to remove the QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE. but where can i find it?

*** also the QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE is probably set either in /etc/environment, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/$SOMEFILE, ~/.profile or ~./xprofile

i can't find the environment in one of these files.

#8 2017-05-30 16:52:35

Friedrich

OK, i got it to work using this https://fixmynix.com/change-qt5-applica … ith-qt5ct/ - but with the last version i got an error, so i installed 0.21. i'll test it.

#9 2017-06-01 16:32:23

sixsixfive
Website

Friedrich wrote:

i can't find the environment in one of these files.

It must be set somewhere, maybe there is /etc/profile? or in the xdg autostart folder

#10 2017-06-08 13:21:05

Friedrich

i made these test on a virtual machine, now i installed a new xubuntu 16.04 and installed dolphin and qt5ct. but now changing the fusion settings doesn't change the dolphin look.

dolphin was installed with the whole kubuntu destop (i found out that thats the best solution instead of installed just 'some' parts of kde/plasma). after that i installed qt5ct 0.21 and changed the font type and size. after restarting dolphin with 'QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=fusion dolphin' dolphin looks like before i changed the settings.

so whats different now?

#11 2017-06-09 15:53:53

sixsixfive
Website

Friedrich wrote:

dolphin was installed with the whole kubuntu destop (i found out that thats the best solution instead of installed just 'some' parts of kde/plasma). after that i installed qt5ct 0.21 and changed the font type and size. after restarting dolphin with 'QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=fusion dolphin' dolphin looks like before i changed the settings.

yes because you have to set the Qt Environment Variables to qt5ct(https://github.com/mati75/qt5ct/blob/master/debian/99qt5ct) after that you should not overwrite the style variable anymore since its now managed by qt5ct

#12 2017-06-13 08:54:43

Friedrich

Yes, works.

I have to change the symbols in xfce setting from default to oxygen because with the default symbols there are some buttons in dolphin without a symbol (compact and detail view). Can i start dolohin using oxygen and change the settings fir xfce back to default?

how can i start dolphin using qt5ct EVERY TIME? at the moment i start dolphin using a terminal, but thats very awkward.

Board footer