Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-01 17:59:03

markpr

mapping key combinations in settings editor

Hi, I would really appreciate some help

I am in the applications |  settings editor | xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts, but can't figure out how to add a new setting. I would like to map the following key combinations get get copy/paste working everywhere including with xfce4-terminal. I am using an Apple keyboard.

CTRL+C to COMMAND+C                    - everywhere
CTRL+SHIFT+C to COMMAND+C       - xfce-terminal

CTRL+V to COMMAND+V                     - everywhere
CTRL+SHIFT+V to COMMAND+V        - xfce-terminal

I have the codes for the COMMAND key:
115 Super_L     COMMAND (Left)

I see from xmodmap that this is setup:
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74),  Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L (0x80)

How do I tie these all together? After a few hours of searching and testing all I seem to have done is learn how to break and then fix the xfce-terminal copy/paste keyboard shortcuts

I do have apple keyboard with a macintosh layout selected and editable keyboard accelerators enabled. As a workaround for xfce-terminal, I am using gnome-terminal which does not rely on editable accelerators - but still need a fix for xfce in general.

thanks !

Last edited by markpr (2017-07-01 20:39:58)

#2 2017-07-01 18:56:12

MountainDewManiac

Re: mapping key combinations in settings editor

markpr wrote:

CTRL+C to COMMAND+C
CTRL+SHIFT+C to COMMAND+C

You're attempting to map two separate macros to the same keyboard combination?

markpr wrote:

CTRL+V to COMMAND+V
CTRL+SHIFT+V to COMMAND+V

Twice, lol?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2017-07-01 19:14:53

markpr

Yes -  there are two mappings for a key combination, but I am testing with one key combination for now.

A better way to describe this is one key combination for xfce-terminal and the other key combination for everywhere else.

#4 2017-07-01 20:47:34

MountainDewManiac

Ah, okay, global vs. per application. Apologies for misunderstanding. I was picturing you pressing your desired key combination and having it produce two separate macros at the same time. It has been that kind of day - if I smelled smoke I'd probably immediately panic, grab the cat, and jump out the window without ever thinking to see if the neighbor is having a cookout (or worse, assume he was - while my home burned down around my ears). In short, a logic circuit is misfiring and it's the one between my ears.

I will follow this thread with interest. While I do not use the terminal enough to require macros (and I have a non-Apple keyboard), I can think of several applications that I'd like to have application-specific macros for. Not least of which is SDL Slash'em, lol - typing Elbereth quickly can lead to mistakes that lead to...

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2017-07-08 15:06:00

markpr

Here is the direction I went with this. For Xfce in general I switched to using Royal TSX for controlling the remote connection (it uses FreeRDP) which allowed remapping of CMD keys for Copy/Paste. For Xfce terminal, I switched over to Terminator which allowed me to use the CMD keys for Copy/Paste within a Terminal. I still have no idea how to fix the keyboard shortcuts or accelerators to do the same but I'm really happy with this as a permanent solution to my problem.

Board footer