Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-17 05:13:56

benty

How do I determine whether I'm using GTK3 themes?

Is there a way to check/switch GTK themes in xfce? I'm on Debian Jessie and I've downloaded gtk-3.

Web page checkboxes are not rendering properly in Firefox and I was told to make sure I'm using GTK3 themes.

#2 2017-08-17 13:08:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How do I determine whether I'm using GTK3 themes?

Hello and welcome.

You need to use a GTK3 theme that is compatible with the version of gtk3 that your distro is using. I believe Debian Jessie uses version 3.14, so you'll have plenty of options. Here is a listing of some GTK3 themes. Just make sure that they support the version of gtk3 that you are running.

To add a GTK3 theme to Xfce, simply install it (some may not be packaged and you may need to download them and install them yourself - see: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes) and select it in Settings Manager > Appearance

FYI: You can always test theme issues by using the default Adwaita theme. To test firefox with the default GTK3 theme (adwaita), first close firefox then start it with:

GTK_THEME=Adwaita firefox

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-08-17 18:45:03

benty

ToZ wrote:

FYI: You can always test theme issues by using the default Adwaita theme. To test firefox with the default GTK3 theme (adwaita), first close firefox then start it with:

GTK_THEME=Adwaita firefox

That fixed the problem. Is there a way to simply switch to GTK3 Adwaita? I don't really want to download and install a new theme.

Adwaita is already selected in the Settings Manager, so I apparently can't change to a GTK3 theme that way.

#4 2017-08-18 00:23:45

ToZ
Administrator

benty wrote:

Adwaita is already selected in the Settings Manager, so I apparently can't change to a GTK3 theme that way.

That should work, or at least it does on my debian jessie system. Can you post back the results of the following commands:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/ThemeName
pgrep -a xfsettingsd
cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0
cat ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-08-29 06:53:56

benty

ToZ wrote:

That should work, or at least it does on my debian jessie system. Can you post back the results of the following commands:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/ThemeName

Xfce-dusk

Apparently, I didn't actually change the theme before, just some icons. Switching to the Raleigh theme gave me the dark colors I need and the checkmarks are also visible now. Thanks to everyone.

Board footer