Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-29 09:09:45

etatoby

Color inversion of a single window

I have found an interesting post about inverting the colors of specific windows, to use with those applications that don't respect the system theme and don't have a builtin dark theme:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/134668/ … one-window

Unfortunately, I cannot launch compton, because it fails with "Another composite manager is already running"

I suppose that xfwm4 is a composite manager and that you cannot launch two of those at the same time.

Is there a way to run XFCE4 with compton, so that I can use this option, or to enable a similar behaviour in xfwm4?

#2 2017-08-29 16:55:50

MountainDewManiac

Re: Color inversion of a single window

etatoby wrote:

Is there a way to run XFCE4 with compton, so that I can use this option, or to enable a similar behaviour in xfwm4?

Yes. IIRC, the Xfce flavor of my distribution (Mint) ships with at least two, and possibly three, window managers. I do not know the specifics of switching, because I'm happy with Xfwm. But typing "how to use compton in xfce" (sans quotation marks) into the nearest web search engine gave 61,200 results. The first three appear to be titled:
How to switch to Compton for beautiful tear free compositing in XFCE ...
Using Compton for a tear-free experience in Xfce - Manjaro Linux
How To Use Compton Compositing Manager To Enhance Xfce, LXDE ...

So I'm guessing that the information is both widespread and readily accessible.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2017-08-29 18:07:16

Jerry3904

If you are running a Debian-based distro, we have a dedicated tool: MX Compton Manager, that you might consider looking at. Its Help file is here  and a video here.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#4 2017-08-30 08:07:35

etatoby

Ok, that was much easier than I expected.

I only had to disable "Enable display compositing" in Window Manager Tweaks, after that I could launch Compton from the terminal.

Board footer