Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-10 22:38:55

25teetotle

Save/Open dialog search

Hello,

Edit: I just noticed that this behaviour is not present in GVim, but it is in Mozilla FireFox.... can I override the FireFox dialog?

I'm running Debian testing using XFCE. Within the past few months I noticed a change to the behaviour of the save/open dialog boxes. In the past, typing a few letters would select an item in the currently displayed directory, however the behaviour now that a search is performed, including searching sub-directories. Is there a way to configure this to be more like the old behaviour? Navigating through folders to save and open items is much more difficult now than it was in the past.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide!

Last edited by 25teetotle (2017-09-10 22:40:28)

#2 2017-09-10 23:08:18

sixsixfive
Website

Re: Save/Open dialog search

Hello and welcome to GTK3 - nothing you can do here except change to qt apps or patch gtk3 by yourself https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … -typeahead

#3 2017-09-11 00:53:22

MountainDewManiac

25teetotle wrote:

Within the past few months I noticed a change to the behaviour of the save/open dialog boxes. In the past, typing a few letters would select an item in the currently displayed directory, however the behaviour now that a search is performed, including searching sub-directories. Is there a way to configure this to be more like the old behaviour? Navigating through folders to save and open items is much more difficult now than it was in the past.

sixsixfive wrote:

Hello and welcome to GTK3 - nothing you can do here except change to qt apps or patch gtk3

Oh, no! Xfce is devolving instead of evolving. Teetotle, please report this on https://bugzilla.xfce.org/ asap as the BUG that it is.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2017-09-11 08:04:12

sixsixfive
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Oh, no! Xfce is devolving instead of evolving. Teetotle, please report this on https://bugzilla.xfce.org/ asap as the BUG that it is.

oh, no! somebody does not understand that xfce has nothing to do with GTK, since GTK is fully under the GNOME umbrella and they give a sh*t about other desktops or platforms! So instead of blaming other people do some research before your next post - thx!

edit: instead of replying to your reply - I just stop this here ! because I can clearly see what type of a guy you are...

Last edited by sixsixfive (2017-09-11 23:55:26)

#5 2017-09-11 18:14:19

MountainDewManiac

No sir, I stand by my comment. I'm not blaming Xfce. But if someone else's change screws it up, it's still screwed up.

It is good that you've posted a patch. But should it be left to the individual users to patch this? Cannot Xfce ship with this code?

If a thing works - and then it doesn't - it has devolved. Or it has become broken at the very least. And, being broken, if that thing's developers just shrug their shoulders... then that thing has definitely devolved.

I am not angry with the Xfce developers. I am not looking for a different desktop. But I am saddened. CAN this new behavior be corrected by the Xfce developers? I do not know. I do know that the team is small. I have no idea whether or not they can address this issue directly. If it is possible, it might be that they do not perceive it as being something that the users care enough about for them to devote some of their - again, limited - developer-hours on. Therefore, I requested that the OP file a bug report in the accepted manner, so that it becomes an official report - and can be seen by those developers, other users can add their (hopefully, constructive) comments/experiences, etc.

sixsixfive wrote:

oh, no! somebody does not understand that xfce has nothing to do with GTK, since GTK is fully under the GNOME umbrella and they give a sh*t about other desktops or platforms!

Quite untrue as stated (although I do understand your point wink ). If Xfce had nothing to do with GTK+, then this issue would not exist. A more proper (IMHO) statement would have been that the Xfce developers have no control over the GTK+ developers.

I do not interact with farmers on a daily basis. One might state that I have nothing to do with them. But this wouldn't be an accurate statement, either, since I depend on them for (a large part of) my food - even though I most often purchase that food from a grocery store. This is almost certainly a poor analogy, and I apologize for that.

I also apologize if my choice of words were not the best. I do not claim to be educated or even to have any great amount of intelligence.

If it is absolutely not feasible for the Xfce developers to address this (and other issues that may exist due to a third party's work) via a workaround, shipping with a patched GTK+ (or the specific part of it that applies here), etc. - should I be addressing this concern to (Xfce-using) distro developers? I could do that, I suppose. But this seems to me to be a method wherein multiple developer teams would have to basically repeat each others' work; if it could be addressed (in some manner or other) by the Xfce developers, then it would only be one (set of) developer(s) dealing with it.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer