Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-20 11:35:38

juef

Trouble with Thunar / file association with Wine'd software

Greetings,

I am having a small but annoying problem. Apologies in advance, I'm not sure is this is a Thunar or xfce problem as I am pretty much a Linux newbie.

I am currently using Winamp 2.95 through Wine, and while it worked beautifully for months, something suddenly changed. Double-clicking a m3u playlist file does nothing anymore, but right-clicking it and selecting the default action works just as expected. I have tried resetting the default "open with" application, using a custom command, reinstalling Winamp and removing/setting back its file associations, but to no avail.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

[Edit] This is actually solved, but I'm removing the title tag to create a bounty as discussed below.

Last edited by juef (2017-10-22 19:57:11)

#2 2017-10-20 23:57:09

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Trouble with Thunar / file association with Wine'd software

Hello and welcome.

What is your system configured to open m3u files with? Try running these commands from a terminal window and posting back the results:

xdg-mime query filetype m3u.m3u

...replace "m3u.m3u" with the name of an actual m3u file on your computer. Run the command in a terminal window that is currently sitting in the m3u file's directory (or use full path designation to the file).

xdg-mime query default audio/x-mpegurl

...and:

xdg-mime query default $(xdg-mime query filetype m3u.m3u)

...again replacing "m3u.m3u" with the actual name of an m3u file.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-10-21 11:48:25

juef

francois@SilentPC:~/Desktop$ xdg-mime query filetype Rock.m3u
audio/x-mpegurl
francois@SilentPC:~/Desktop$ xdg-mime query default audio/x-mpegurl
wine-extension-miz.desktop
francois@SilentPC:~/Desktop$ xdg-mime query default $(xdg-mime query filetype Rock.m3u)
wine-extension-miz.desktop

Thank you very much for your reply!

#4 2017-10-21 17:11:40

ToZ
Administrator

Okay. Now, lets find out what "wine-extension-miz.desktop" is:

cat $(locate wine-extension-miz.desktop)

Post back the results.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-10-21 17:22:47

juef

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Winamp
MimeType=application/x-wine-extension-miz;
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/francois/.wine" wine start /ProgIDOpen Winamp.File %f
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=true
Icon=F465_winamp.0

#6 2017-10-21 17:25:21

ToZ
Administrator

Hmmm. Try running this command from a terminal window and let me know what happens:

WINEPREFIX="/home/francois/.wine" wine start /ProgIDOpen Winamp.File Rock.m3u

You'll need to run it from the directory that Rock.m3u is in.

#7 2017-10-21 17:26:54

juef

It works (i.e. Winamp starts up and plays the playlist), which is the same behavior as when I right-click the file and select "Open with Winamp".

Thanks for your help!

#8 2017-10-21 17:38:05

ToZ
Administrator

Double hmmmm. It should work. I don't see what Thunar would be doing that would prevent this from executing properly.

Which distro are you running and which version of Xfce and Thunar?

#9 2017-10-21 17:44:34

juef

I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one baffled by this!

I'm running 64-bit Linux Lite 3.6, Thunar 1.6.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 and xfce 4.12.

#10 2017-10-21 19:18:06

ToZ
Administrator

Yeah, everything says it __should__ work......

Can I see your thunar settings:

xfconf-query -c thunar -lv

And, can I see your ~/.xsession-errors or ~/.cache/xfce4/startxfce4.log file (depending on which file your distro uses) right after you try double-clicking on an m3u file.

And finally, if possible, create a new user and try to replicate the issue there (you'll need to install winamp for this user as well). Lets see if this is a system issue or an issue with your user profile.

#11 2017-10-21 19:42:24

juef

/last-details-view-column-widths     50,130,50,50,501,50,50,64,53
/last-details-view-zoom-level        THUNAR_ZOOM_LEVEL_SMALLER
/last-icon-view-zoom-level           THUNAR_ZOOM_LEVEL_NORMAL
/last-separator-position             172
/last-show-hidden                    true
/last-sort-column                    THUNAR_COLUMN_NAME
/last-sort-order                     GTK_SORT_ASCENDING
/last-view                           ThunarCompactView
/last-window-height                  633
/last-window-maximized               false
/last-window-width                   928
/misc-date-style                     THUNAR_DATE_STYLE_ISO
/misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default  true
/misc-file-size-binary               true
/misc-recursive-permissions          THUNAR_RECURSIVE_PERMISSIONS_ALWAYS
/misc-single-click                   false
/misc-thumbnail-mode                 THUNAR_THUMBNAIL_MODE_NEVER

~/.xsession-errors is 0 byte, before and after double-clicking an m3u file, and ~/.cache/xfce4/startxfce4.log does not exist...

Creating a new user and installing Winamp did make it work for that user.

Thank you again very much for the help!

#12 2017-10-21 22:28:20

ToZ
Administrator

juef wrote:

Creating a new user and installing Winamp did make it work for that user.

Then it's not a problem with Thunar or the system. It's something in your configuration.

Can you try changing the default to something else, another player, via right-clicking the m3u file, selecting "Open with" the "Open with another application". Pick another music player and check the "Use as default for this kind of file". Then close the player that opens to play the m3u file.

Now double-click the m3u file again. Does it bring up this new player playing the contents of the m3u player?

Try changing it back to winamp using the same process and try again.

#13 2017-10-22 12:34:26

juef

ToZ wrote:

Now double-click the m3u file again. Does it bring up this new player playing the contents of the m3u player?

Well that's interesting: it does not, but again, right-clicking and selecting the (new) default action does work...

I used VLC for this test.

#14 2017-10-22 13:01:00

ToZ
Administrator

Can we try getting an strace to see what is happening?

First, quit any running instances of thunar:

thunar -q

Then run it through strace:

strace -o ~/thunar.log thunar

Double-click on Rock.m3u. Wait a couple of seconds then quit thunar.

Then upload the ~/thunar.log file to an online site like filebin.ca and post back the link to the file.

#15 2017-10-22 13:48:00

juef

I've just sent you a PM containing the log in case in contains sensitive data. Feel free to past the relevant text here.

Two things I noticed while running this test:

1) When Rock.m3u is in my home directory, the default action is "Execute", while it is "Open with Winamp" when on the desktop (where the file normally resides). It doesn't change the double-clicking behavior, though...

2) The terminal logged this when I double-clicked the file:

/home/francois/Rock.m3u: 3: /home/francois/Rock.m3u: Z:homefrancoisMusicMP3sRockACDCACDC: not found
/home/francois/Rock.m3u: 19: /home/francois/Rock.m3u: Z:homefrancoisMusicMP3sRockACDCACDC: not found
/home/francois/Rock.m3u: 38: /home/francois/Rock.m3u: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

The first few lines of Rock.m3u are the following:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:278,AC/DC - Jailbreak
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - '74 Jailbreak - 01 - Jailbreak.mp3
#EXTINF:312,AC/DC - Hells Bells
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 01 - Hells Bells.mp3
#EXTINF:318,AC/DC - Shoot To Thrill
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 02 - Shoot To Thrill.mp3
#EXTINF:215,AC/DC - What Do You Do For Money Honey
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 03 - What Do You Do For Money Honey.mp3
#EXTINF:212,AC/DC - Given The Dog A Bone
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 04 - Given The Dog A Bone.mp3
#EXTINF:255,AC/DC - Let Me Put My Love Into You
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 05 - Let Me Put My Love Into You.mp3
#EXTINF:255,AC/DC - Back In Black
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 06 - Back In Black.mp3
#EXTINF:210,AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 07 - You Shook Me All Night Long.mp3
#EXTINF:255,AC/DC - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Back In Black - 10 - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.mp3
#EXTINF:271,AC/DC - Hard As A Rock
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Ballbreaker - 01 - Hard As A Rock.mp3
#EXTINF:273,AC/DC - Cover You In Oil
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Ballbreaker - 02 - Cover You In Oil.mp3
#EXTINF:305,AC/DC - Burnin' Alive
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Ballbreaker - 06 - Burnin' Alive.mp3
#EXTINF:314,AC/DC - Hail Caesar
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Ballbreaker - 07 - Hail Caesar.mp3
#EXTINF:275,AC/DC - Whiskey On The Rocks
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Ballbreaker - 10 - Whiskey On The Rocks.mp3
#EXTINF:251,AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - 01 - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.mp3
#EXTINF:344,AC/DC - Problem Child
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - 05 - Problem Child.mp3
#EXTINF:197,AC/DC - There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - 06 - There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'.mp3
#EXTINF:343,AC/DC - For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - For Those About To Rock We Salute You - 01 - For Those About To Rock.mp3
#EXTINF:315,AC/DC - It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)
Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - High Voltage - 01 - It's A Long Way To The Top.mp3
#EXTINF:303,AC/DC - Rock 'n' Roll Singer

Last edited by juef (2017-10-22 13:48:43)

#16 2017-10-22 16:52:58

ToZ
Administrator

Z:\home\francois\Music\MP3s\Rock\ACDC\ACDC - '74 Jailbreak - 01 - Jailbreak.mp3

/home/francois/Rock.m3u: 3: /home/francois/Rock.m3u: Z:homefrancoisMusicMP3sRockACDCACDC: not found
/home/francois/Rock.m3u: 19: /home/francois/Rock.m3u: Z:homefrancoisMusicMP3sRockACDCACDC: not found
/home/francois/Rock.m3u: 38: /home/francois/Rock.m3u: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Okay, I think I know what is happening now. These m3u files were created in Windows or via WINE and Linux can't properly parse them (Z: does not mean in Linux what it means in Windows and "\" is an escape character in Linux, not a directory marker as in Windows).

Try this: open windows explorer via wine:

wine explorer

...then navigate to and double-click Rock.m3u. It should work,

For it to work in Linux, you are going to have to edit the m3u file (or create a new one) that Linux can properly parse. Try this version from Linux:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:278,AC/DC - Jailbreak
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - '74 Jailbreak - 01 - Jailbreak.mp3
#EXTINF:312,AC/DC - Hells Bells
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 01 - Hells Bells.mp3
#EXTINF:318,AC/DC - Shoot To Thrill
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 02 - Shoot To Thrill.mp3
#EXTINF:215,AC/DC - What Do You Do For Money Honey
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 03 - What Do You Do For Money Honey.mp3
#EXTINF:212,AC/DC - Given The Dog A Bone
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 04 - Given The Dog A Bone.mp3
#EXTINF:255,AC/DC - Let Me Put My Love Into You
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 05 - Let Me Put My Love Into You.mp3
#EXTINF:255,AC/DC - Back In Black
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 06 - Back In Black.mp3
#EXTINF:210,AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 07 - You Shook Me All Night Long.mp3
#EXTINF:255,AC/DC - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 10 - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.mp3
#EXTINF:271,AC/DC - Hard As A Rock
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Ballbreaker - 01 - Hard As A Rock.mp3
#EXTINF:273,AC/DC - Cover You In Oil
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Ballbreaker - 02 - Cover You In Oil.mp3
#EXTINF:305,AC/DC - Burnin' Alive
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Ballbreaker - 06 - Burnin' Alive.mp3
#EXTINF:314,AC/DC - Hail Caesar
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Ballbreaker - 07 - Hail Caesar.mp3
#EXTINF:275,AC/DC - Whiskey On The Rocks
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Ballbreaker - 10 - Whiskey On The Rocks.mp3
#EXTINF:251,AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - 01 - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.mp3
#EXTINF:344,AC/DC - Problem Child
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - 05 - Problem Child.mp3
#EXTINF:197,AC/DC - There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - 06 - There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'.mp3
#EXTINF:343,AC/DC - For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - For Those About To Rock We Salute You - 01 - For Those About To Rock.mp3
#EXTINF:315,AC/DC - It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)
/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - High Voltage - 01 - It's A Long Way To The Top.mp3
#EXTINF:303,AC/DC - Rock 'n' Roll Singer

#17 2017-10-22 17:49:50

juef

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my....... I finally found what was wrong, and while it had nothing to do with the above, it was through your directions I got illuminated.

The wine explorer method worked, and copying your modified file contents above worked... partly: Winamp did open then, but Winamp couldn't play the files, and looking up what it thought their location was:

H:\Desktop\/home/francois/Music/MP3s/Rock/ACDC/ACDC - Back In Black - 06 - Back In Black.mp3

which is obsiously not correct. I was going to try other such adjustments when I decided to try copy/pasting the contents of the whole original Rock.m3u file into the new, working one. And it worked! A bit of tinkering around and I ended up noticing that what made the difference is... when the m3u files are marked as executable, it doesn't work. I have no idea why (maybe you have an idea about that?), but I'm glad this is finally solved.

Thank you so very much your your help, your patience, your persistence and your detailed instructions and explanations. Is there an organisation you'd like me to make a little donation to on your behalf? I saw that xfce has a bountysource page, but whatever you'd like, really!

#18 2017-10-22 18:19:58

ToZ
Administrator

Interesting. The code must be following another path when the file is executable, especially since "/misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default" is set  to "true" in your configuration. It should only follow that path if the file is a valid executable.

Thank you so very much your your help, your patience, your persistence and your detailed instructions and explanations. Is there an organisation you'd like me to make a little donation to on your behalf? I saw that xfce has a bountysource page, but whatever you'd like, really!

No worries, glad I was able to help. However, I think this might be a bug. Thunar should only execute files if they are executable. I would suggest creating a bug report about this.

As for donations, the bountysource is a good place. If you create the bug report and when it shows up in the bountysource, you can actually direct your donation towards fixing that issue.

#19 2017-10-22 18:25:36

juef

I will do just that then. Thanks again!

Board footer