Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-24 18:39:40

shrinathk

Default XFCE to Xubuntu look and feel - how ?

I have used XFCE on a couple of distros and I love the way Xubuntu has implemented XFCE. Smoother graphics, better volume controls - overall nicely integrated.

Is there any document or website that describes all the things that I can do to make the default/stock XFCE look like xubuntu ? I have installed the Greybird theme but it looks like everything exept like xubuntu smile

Some websites say install the entire xubuntu desktop, but I am guessing it will add a ton of miscellaneous packages that xubuntu (a.k.a. debian) uses. I am running Arch and those deb packages wont be useful at all.

Any help would be great. Thanks !

#2 2017-10-24 19:51:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Default XFCE to Xubuntu look and feel - how ?

Perhaps you could share a screenshot of what your system looks like now. "Smoother graphics" and "better volume controls" are subjective terms. (though Xubuntu currently uses the indicator-sound and xfce4-indicator-plugin for the volume controls which need to be built via the AUR on arch - but have a look at the git version of the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, it's been enhanced to include alot of the functionality that indicator-sound has, and then some).

I have installed the Greybird theme but it looks like everything exept like xubuntu

The GTK and xfwm4 appearance theme should look alike. Perhaps its a configuration issue?

As I understand it, the Xubuntu team packages their custom settings into the xubuntu-default-settings package. Have a look through the contents of that package to see what configuration settings they are using.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-10-26 18:12:17

shrinathk

Hi ToZ,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am new to this forum, so I am still figuring out how to upload a picture here. Nevertheless, it would be safe to say my system looks like a mess. I installed all DEs (GNOME, MATE, KDE, XFCE and Cinnammon) and while changing configurations for all those DEs, it somehow messed up my original XFCE.

Anyways, based on your suggestion, I will try the different plugins you suggested. Also, I tried giving a dark blue colour to the top panel (like Xubuntu has), but it is only colouring the panel and not the minimized windows on that panel.

To be honest, I was thinking Xubuntu would be simply using some theme and I could just grab that theme but it looks like some more work goes into polishing XFCE.

In short, I just need the following:

1. Dark coloured panel - with minimzed windows blending in nicely.
2. All icons on the panel match the theme. E.g. default XFCE will have battery icon in green, Wifi icon in blue etc. In Xubuntu, all are white.
3. Reading other posts in the forums, I figured I would have to install icons etc. I will try that.
4. Volume controls - you already helped me with that.

That's all, thank you !

#4 2017-10-26 18:57:45

ToZ
Administrator

A note of warning when running multiple DEs:

They all (some?) seem to like to make changes to these GTK configuration files:
   ~/.gtkrc-2.0
   ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
   ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

When switching DEs, have a look at those files and comment out, delete, or back them up so they don't affect the presentation of the current DE.

1. Dark coloured panel - with minimzed windows blending in nicely.

In addition to checking that the config files above are not interfering, do the following in the panel properties, appearance tab:
- Background style = none
- Alpha = 80
- Enter and Leave Opacity = 100
Also change the window buttons setting to "show flat buttons"

2. All icons on the panel match the theme. E.g. default XFCE will have battery icon in green, Wifi icon in blue etc. In Xubuntu, all are white.

This will depend on the icon theme that you use. Try to find one that has coloured panel icons. Some panel plugins also force the monochrome colour and need to be disabled via gtkrc/css tweaks (see: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=43005#p43005).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-10-27 11:13:17

shrinathk

Thanks ToZ. I plan to do a full re-install of my system. I will try the things you mentioned here and will get back in case I have any questions. Thanks a lot !!

#6 2017-11-04 09:33:37

deleted7

Hello,

If you want to custom xfce the way Xubuntu does; this tutorial may be useful:

http://linuxthemer.blogspot.fr/2014/06/ … -from.html

The main improvements are Greybird theme, elementary-xfce icons from the shimmer project. I've used it with my Debian Stretch. I have now a perfect Xubuntu appearance.

Last edited by deleted7 (2017-11-07 08:44:43)

#7 2017-11-09 05:45:38

shrinathk

zorzi wrote:

Hello,

If you want to custom xfce the way Xubuntu does; this tutorial may be useful:

http://linuxthemer.blogspot.fr/2014/06/ … -from.html

The main improvements are Greybird theme, elementary-xfce icons from the shimmer project. I've used it with my Debian Stretch. I have now a perfect Xubuntu appearance.

Thank you Zorzi. I will surely give this one a try !!

Board footer