Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-13 15:58:04

lp6

Tumbler sometimes jumps to 100% RAM usage + SWAP and freezes system

Occasionally Tumblerd will start to dramatically increase it's RAM usage to the extent that it stalls the system for 5-10 minutes. This seems to happen when it's trying to generate thumbnails for large videos (1080p, 4GB). There's no exact cutoff, it just seems to happen rarely although if it happens in a certain folder it seems to be likely to happen there in the future as well. Particularly if I am moving videos around or new file(s) are being created. It's happened in different folders with different videos causing it over the past few months.

Normally it works perfectly fine, even on the large videos mentioned above. If I'm expecting it to happen (such as if it's recently happened, or I can 'feel' the system slowing down dramatically) I can 'killall tumblerd' and it solves the problem at least temporarily.

I am using the following version of Tumbler on fedora

Name         : tumbler
Version      : 0.1.32
Release      : 1.fc26
Arch         : x86_64
Size         : 769 k
Source       : tumbler-0.1.32-1.fc26.src.rpm
Repo         : @System
From repo    : updates

I can't find anything specific in journalctl when I noticed the problem starting recently, just lines like the following talking about how some other programs were having issues due to the RAM situation

Nov 13 12:01:23 fedora rtkit-daemon[969]: The canary thread is apparently starving. Taking action.
Nov 13 12:01:23 fedora rtkit-daemon[969]: Demoting known real-time threads.

I know about the settings flag to specify a maximum filesize for Tumblerd to run on, although aside from the fact that the issue seems to happen on the 'larger' of my videos, there is no clear size cutoff or pattern since the issue might only happen once or twice a week.

I'm also thinking about trying to set up a cgroup to limit the maximum possible RAM tumblerd can access.

Edit: It just happened again in a folder I forgot was still open in Thunar; several videos being downloaded are the culprit, I think videos being changed while Tumblerd are checking it might cause problems

Last edited by lp6 (2017-11-13 16:08:44)

#2 2017-11-14 14:58:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Tumbler sometimes jumps to 100% RAM usage + SWAP and freezes system

Have a look through the existing tumber bug reports. It looks like there are a few there that might be applicable. e.g.

- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12259
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13350

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer