Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-17 08:30:04

jerry1970

keyboard config confusing

Hi,

I am trying to set a configuration for my keyboard so I can type all characters I want but the configuration is quite confusing. Either I don't know which file is used for the configuration or several configurations are loaded.

What I am looking for is to use dead keys to type certain characters. Using a shortcut like AltGr+e for é might be helpful but my keyboard is now set to use AltGr+r for ë and that just does not make sense to me: typing an r to get an accented e.

I prefer to use the dead keys more, so AltGr+" (which is of course AltGr+Shift+') and then e for ë.

With `~'", I can make the most common accented letters, and with -_/. for macron, breve, stroke, and dot I can make almost all Europen letters. With - and EYLR there are some currency symbols. Using O I can get characters in a circle, using & I combine letters like AE, etc.
More difficult will be characters that are not letters with accents, like degrees sign, square root, etc., but I'll find some easy to remember key combinations for those.

So far as I can see, the /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose file has a lot of info but it contains codes like <dead_caron> and I have no idea where this is set and how I can enter a dead caron. And I cannot find where stuff like AltGr+r is defined.

So...
* Where is defined that en_US.UTF-8 is used?
* Besides the Compose file, where are other configurations for things like AltGr+r so I know how to change/disable those?
* Where is <dead_caron> defined?

Thanks!
Jerry

Board footer