Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-01 09:43:09

idefix

menu editor

Edit applications > window with menu categories pops up, but  all menu items excpt the plus sign are grayed out. What to do about if?

#2 2017-12-01 23:08:20

ToZ
Administrator

Re: menu editor

Hello and welcome.

Can you confirm which menu you are using (whisker?) and which menu editor is being opened? Also, what are the permissions of ~/.config/menus and the files inside?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-12-02 10:32:23

idefix

it is whisker and menu-libre . I changed al the permissions of folders in ~/.config which have something to do with menus or XFCE to 777 and all the files to 666. But that does not change anything for now.
I just installed XFCE because I got sich with KDE5, but now here emerge new problems... (running Ubuntu 16.04, KDE5 stilll installed).
Bert

#4 2017-12-02 11:38:22

ToZ
Administrator

I think it's related to how menulibre works. The plus lets you add new entries, selecting a menu item and changing it's properties in the right pane will allow you to save the item, but you can't delete items because they probably reside in /usr/share/applications and you don't have permission there.

Try installing alacarte. Running in from the command line and try to make changes - I believe it uses a different procedure to maintain the menu structure that makes more efficient use of local directories that you have access to.

Please note that Xfce doesn't come with a menu editor of it's own and that it's prefered method of editing menus is manual (see: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu). All of the compatible menu editors (menulibre, alacarte, xame) are third-party and any issues with them would need to be followed up with their developers.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-12-02 15:14:19

idefix

Thanx for your help. I installed Alacarte, which does precisely what I need.
Bert

Board footer