It has got the following advantages over the default menu:

1. Search
2. More look and feel to gnome
3. More look and feel to windows xp
4. has both menu and the application search built it
5. Look and feel similar to kde, also
6. seems more convenient to use
7. It fulfills the requirements of a modern looking gui

It is requested from the Development Team; to release the next versions, with this menu as default.

Thankyou

#2 2017-11-17 20:13:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Suggestion - Default Menu

Hello and welcome to the forums.

As a point of clarification, the Xfce project develops and maintains the two menu applications that you mentioned (as well as the application-finder) but leaves it up to the distro providers to decide on which menu system to use. In fact, many distributions provide customized configurations of Xfce that include both Xfce managed and non-Xfce managed components.

That being said, the basic non-customized setup (default layout) of Xfce uses the original applicationsmenu and has so for a number of years. If it is this default layout that you would like the Xfce developers to consider changing, you should create a bug report requesting a review of the default layout with respect to which menu system to include. Or alternatively, start a message thread on the xfce4-dev mailing list if you want more direct developer input.

However, keep in mind that a lot of people will have different ideas about this. Xfce is a very modular environment where components can easily be swapped in and out and given that many distros themselves customize this layout, it may be a difficult request to get buy in for.

Or perhaps this is the time to consider a change to the default layout? You could champion a proposal for this through the channels mentioned above and see where it goes. Perhaps you could expand this to include not just the menu, but a change to the whole default layout based on user opinion. That would be a nice contribution to the community.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-11-18 20:08:46

makhtux

Hi

Thanks for your kind response.

I have mailed to the developers. I hope they would be kind enough to implement it.

Thankyou

Edit: they rejected my email, on the link you forwarded, saying: You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has been automatically rejected.

Last edited by makhtux (2017-11-18 21:17:03)

#4 2017-11-19 07:16:56

k-3.14

makhtux wrote:

It is requested from the Development Team; to release the next versions, with this menu as default.

But I see it in the packages, starting with DEBIAN Jessie ??

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/xfce … enu-plugin

br

#5 2017-11-19 09:56:59

makhtux

k-3.14 wrote:

Hi
Yes it is in the standard repo of Debian.It is more functional and useful. So I am interested to have it as default menu, in the xfce desktop.

Thankyou

Last edited by makhtux (2017-11-19 09:57:27)

#6 2017-11-19 10:36:26

k-3.14

OK, I understand.

Been some time with DEBIAN. Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch, now Linux Mint.

As I understand DEBIAN, you, as a normal user, can place a bug report, if you find any fault. That is it!

DEBIAN leaves those things like "tuning" your desktop up to you ....

There are a lot of internet pages like "10 things to do first with your Xfce desktop" and most of those will advice to choose whisker!

br

#7 2017-11-19 11:29:42

makhtux

k-3.14 wrote:

There are a lot of internet pages like "10 things to do first with your Xfce desktop" and most of those will advice to choose whisker!

Precisely...

#8 2017-11-19 13:41:47

makhtux

If xfce would have been worked on as a light weight, well managed, and highly configurable replacement for the good old gnome3, there would have been no need for the development of mate.

Even I believe, xfce can contest to kde, gnome and cinnamon, while still remaing highly light weight, reliable, productive and easy to use.

Just a thought...

#9 2017-11-19 17:45:37

k-3.14

Never mind.

Been a (very) long time with KDE. Still remember the trouble, when KDE changed from version 3.5.xx to 4.0.x.

But when I saw KDE 5 for myself first time, I thought (That is nothing for me ...)

That brought me to Xfce. I need a solid desktop, not a gimmick.

But I think, we are now a bit off-topic smile

br

#10 2017-11-20 14:58:37

makhtux

Hi

I am only suggesting an improvment. You may agree or not. Cheers its opensource.

#11 2017-12-15 20:28:20

apurkrt

Hello, I for one find the simple menu better than whisker menu, which I do not use. Sure, at first there was some "wow" about the whisker, but it is not all that practical (for me at least); the simple menu being more "fixed" is simpler (for me) to navigate. My $0.02.

#12 2017-12-15 22:47:05

sixsixfive
Website

renergy wrote:

Hello, I for one find the simple menu better than whisker menu, which I do not use. Sure, at first there was some "wow" about the whisker, but it is not all that practical (for me at least); the simple menu being more "fixed" is simpler (for me) to navigate. My $0.02.

I second that, classic menu is a lot faster than those xp style menus. Its just click>category>click whisker is click>Where the hell am I?>click>scroll>what?>ah ok click

Last edited by sixsixfive (2017-12-15 22:47:37)

#13 2017-12-21 10:17:16

Mike_P

Maybe an alternative:

I made a "Menu" folder, with subfolders like "Settings, Office aso." in my home dir and just sort the *.desktop files inside. Then I use it as a base for the directory menu plugin of the panel: voila! Best menu ever. Only disadvantage is I have to put/remove new installed/uninstalled apps manually. Advantage: I can have apps in two or more menu categories, if both fit (f.e. Thunderbird in Web and Office menu).

#14 2017-12-21 11:48:04

Jerry3904

sixsixfive wrote:
renergy wrote:

I second that, classic menu is a lot faster than those xp style menus. Its just click>category>click whisker is click>Where the hell am I?>click>scroll>what?>ah ok click

OTOH, the ability to just type one or two letters in the search box to get to what you want to launch saves a zillion scrolls and clicks. I hardly ever go through the categories etc.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer