Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-31 17:20:39

meeowth

Taskbar thumbnails like in MS Windows?

Is there any way to have thumbnails of minimized windows when you hover over them in the start bar like in Windows? Do I have to use a 3rd party dock? Or is it currently not possible in XFCE?

I am very new to Linux and all these things, so er a little explanation would be appreciated and at least a direction to "RTFM" if that is what you wish me to do.

I found a previous thread about this, this post in particular is interesting:
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=26037#p26037

Quoting it in full:

wkr wrote:

is there something like that for XFCE

No AFAIK. But you can get this functionality with Docbarx and compiz (with some workarounds, not so easy)
Personally, I use "always group" option. A click on the "pdf" icon will show all my opened  files with their names. It's not a true preview but, for me, it do the job.

http://www.zimagez.com/miniature/capturedcran-01052012-121017.php

Said user is no longer active, so can anyone enlighten me on what was meant? Is is still possible in 2017 or are there better methods available?

My system:
Its a dualboot with windows 10, 4gb ram i3. The Linux is the Ubuntu 16.04 lts (amd64). I got xfce by 'apt-get install xubuntu-desktop' Main reasoning behind this was because I couldnt figure out how to get both menu bar and titlebar to display in the correct position in the default gnome. Also in general the XFCE feels much neater and less resource intensive. It appears KDE Plasma has the thumbnail feature already but I'd rather like to avoid switching from XFCE if possible. Also the XFCE rat is really cute <3

Last edited by meeowth (2017-12-31 17:24:53)

#2 2017-12-31 20:05:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Taskbar thumbnails like in MS Windows?

Hello and welcome.

Xfce doesn't have this functionality built-in. You need to use compiz (and replace xfwm4). I fired up my xubuntu 16.04 VM and was able to do so via the following steps:

1. Install compiz, compizconfig-settings-manager, and compiz-plugins-extra

2. Open up the compiz settings manager and enable the following:
- composite
- opengl
- aniimations
- window decoration
- thumbnail window previews
- move window
- place window

3. Go to Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Session tab and click the button to "Clear saved sessions"

4. Go to the Application Autostart tab and create a new entry with the following:
- Name = compiz
- Description = compiz
- Command = compiz --replace

5. Log out and back in again and all should be good.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-12-31 21:49:23

meeowth

Awesome, thanks! It is working now!

A question though.

Now when I minimize/maximize windows a funny kind of wavy animation is played. You mentioned enabling animations in the compiz settings (which I did) that I am guessing is the cause behind this, but is that an essential prerequisite for window thumbnails? If not, and if it is safe to disable it, then I'd prefer that it be so. Its a very minor thing, so if it is not possible I dont really have any big problems with it.

Again, thanks a lot for explaining in the simple steps! smile

Last edited by meeowth (2017-12-31 21:50:04)

#4 2017-12-31 21:57:29

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, you can disable animations if you don't want them.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-12-31 22:05:38

meeowth

I noticed one thing, the thumbnail is shown alright when the window is nonminimized whether active or not, but if it is minimized it doesent show thumbnail. Is that how it is supposed to be or is there some error on my system? If it is actually how it is supposed to be then I'll always have to keep all windows up, somewhat annoying but still far from deal breaking.

Last edited by meeowth (2017-12-31 22:08:23)

#6 2017-12-31 22:11:25

ToZ
Administrator

In the Utility category in the Compiz settings manager, enable workarounds and select the "keep previews of minimized windows".

#7 2017-12-31 22:14:52

meeowth

This is working, sometimes doesent, but definitely an improvement. Thanks again!

#8 2018-01-18 10:42:42

Golden_Virginia

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Xfce doesn't have this functionality built-in. You need to use compiz (and replace xfwm4). I fired up my xubuntu 16.04 VM and was able to do so via the following steps:

Hi there,

I must admit this feature is probably the only one, that I'm really missing in XFCE at the moment. I've stumbled upon this thread as I was looking for the instruction how to enable it.

I'm using manjaro distro on my production workstation and indeed it would be awesome to get that functionality in XFCE4 through an update or even in the next release or so.

Now, are there any plans to implement this feature? Is there some sort of a list, where one could vote on the to be implemented/proposed features in the future?

Regards,
GV

#9 2018-01-18 11:47:16

ToZ
Administrator

Now, are there any plans to implement this feature?

Not that I'm aware of. There is this existing ehnancement request for this  functionality and...

Is there some sort of a list, where one could vote on the to be implemented/proposed features in the future?

this bountysource item.

#10 2018-01-18 15:35:02

Laurentius

Interesting. I do consider this would be a good improvement, too (as though as an exposé feature).

I know nothing about coding, but i wonder why would this be so hard to achieve, given the fact that Xfwm4 already manages thumbnails (like in Alt+Tab cycling).

Last edited by Laurentius (2018-01-18 16:15:35)

#11 2018-01-18 18:18:08

ToZ
Administrator

It might be just a matter of coding it. Add your name to the bug report (comment on the bug report) and that will raise it the attention of all of the developers.

Board footer