Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-07 04:38:01

antfarmer

Manage panel items using command line

Hello!
What i`m trying to do is to figure out a way to remove and then re-add an external item to the XFCE panel using the command line (specifically, the Whisker menu in Xubuntu).

I need it as something to do at boot for the purpose of quick and dirty workaround for this bug, since i`m using Xubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is EOL for XFCE and i`m stuck with this version of xfce4-panel.

Is there a way to use xfconf-query for that?

#2 2018-01-07 13:54:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Manage panel items using command line

antfarmer wrote:

Hello!

Hello and welcome.

since i`m using Xubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is EOL for XFCE and i`m stuck with this version of xfce4-panel.

Is there no way to upgrade to a supported version where the bug is fixed? That is the easiest fix.

Is there a way to use xfconf-query for that?

Unfortunately, xfconf-query does not support individual element array manipulation. To remove the whiskermenu you would need to remove it's ID from the plugin-ids array of the panel to which it belongs and delete it's tree entry. Deleting the tree entry is simple enough, but xfconf-query does not provide the ability to easily manipulate the plugin-ids array. You would need to create a wrapper script to delete and rebuild the plugin-ids array with whiskermenu's key removed.

Here are a couple of similar-type threads which deal with programmatic solutions to manipulating the array. Not exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps the information is useful:
- https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8619
- https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11117

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer