Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-10 21:36:40

rodv92

xfce and xrdp on debian stretch : black screen in certain conditions

Hello, i have the following issue on a debian stretch VM hosted in a cloud provider.
when connecting to xfce through xrdp (connection option: xorg and .xsession has the following line : xfce4-session)
everything is ok at first and the environment loads properly. but after some inactivity period (i suppose it may be the RDP inactive session timer that kicks-in) the desktop fails to refresh and stay with a black screen background, only mouse cursor is active and moves.

When performing a disconnect/reconnect in these conditions, the xrdp server accepts the reconnection, but i am welcomed by the same black screen after logon.

At this point the solution i use is to restart the xrdp daemon.
But sometimes it does not even work and i need to restart the VM.

I have a gut feeling that it is more a xrdp issue than a xfce one, but maybe it is the combination of these both versions that exhibits that behavior ?
Found a lot of similar issues for other users and others distributions (particularly ubuntu) but most of the time other users were unable to load the desktop environment at all.
The black screen after inactivity timeout issues does not seem to be frequent at all.

Any ideas or steps i should do to debug and dig on this issue ?
A good workaround would be some kind of keepalive data, i would be fixed at once on the fact that the issue is indeed linked to session inactivity.

version data follows :

debian : 9.0 (stretch)
xrdp package Installed: 0.9.1-9+deb9u1
xfce package Installed: 4.12.3

#2 2018-01-10 23:44:00

rodv92

Re: xfce and xrdp on debian stretch : black screen in certain conditions

Ok i think i found it. it is linked to color depth.
now i remember i had the same problem with gnome, KDE

edited xrdo.ini and limited color bpp to 16
max_bpp=16

now it seems there are no more black screens

https://sourceforge.net/p/xrdp/discussi … edomCookie

Board footer