Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-05 21:28:01

wuwei

XFCE is always a good idea Wallpapers

For all the XFCE fans, I've loaded on imgur up to 53 different backgrounds with the slogan "XFCE is always a good idea" and other variants, reprised from a DAS GEEK wallpaper (https://www.youtube.com/dasgeek) . You can download them from my uploaded album "XFCE is always a good idea!" on:

https://imgur.com/a/aFwL4

here only few samples:

CZVjuCO.png

zHStNXH.png

GRNxyk6.png

ZpEI3ls.png

P3F1Zva.png

usHAoYe.png

have fun!

Last edited by wuwei (2018-01-12 11:31:54)

#2 2018-01-06 06:54:20

k-3.14

Re: XFCE is always a good idea Wallpapers

+1

#3 2018-01-09 00:00:06

alcornoqui

Hey, those are great! I'd love an spanish edition! (that'd be "¡Xfce es siempre una buena idea!").

BTW, they'd be perfect with the Xfce (instead of XFCE) capitalization.

#4 2018-01-11 09:23:36

wuwei

Hi alcornoqui, I give to you the link where you can download the source file in svg created with inkscape:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-fY90Y … sp=sharing

so you can modify and create as many wallpapers as you want!

Cheers!

#5 2018-01-11 12:15:17

alcornoqui

Cool! I've never played with SVG, I have a shitty netbook with 1GB RAM and GIMP refused to open the file... I'll install Inkscape and give a try when I have more time.

Also, about the capitalization, it must be ok as I've noticed the logo in this very forum is XFCE, all caps!

Thanks for your work and answers.

#6 2018-01-11 16:32:30

wuwei

Well, let me know if you should find yourself in trouble, it will be a big pleasure to help you, maybe you tell me the wallpapers you like and I will prepare them personally for you! Your netbook is not so powerful for this type of works, also considering that the svg file posted is about 100 Mb...so feel free to ask help! :-)

Last edited by wuwei (2018-01-11 16:34:37)

#7 2018-01-11 17:50:37

wuwei

A little gift for alcornoqui...

Download zip archive from the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AP6DoE … sp=sharing

A twenty desktop wallpapers with slogan "XFCE es siempre a buena idea"

Cheers!

Last edited by wuwei (2018-01-11 17:53:50)

#8 2018-01-11 18:14:15

alcornoqui

Aww, thanks, you rock!!! Current favs are 2 and 5, that moon!

#9 2018-01-16 03:48:51

MountainDewManiac

Thank you for your contribution to Xfce! I assume there was some work involved in doing this.

I am interested in the image (above) that has the bridge in it. Is it available with natural coloration (IOW, no purple sky) and without any text?

alcornoqui wrote:

Also, about the capitalization, it must be ok as I've noticed the logo in this very forum is XFCE, all caps!

According to the Wikipedia article about Xfce (and other sources), XFCE was correct, once:

Wikipedia wrote:

Olivier Fourdan started the project in 1996 as a Linux version of the Common Desktop Environment (CDE),[7][8] a Unix desktop environment that was initially proprietary and later released as free software.[9] However, over time, Xfce diverged from CDE and now stands on its own. The name "XFCE" was originally an acronym for "XForms Common Environment", but since that time it has been rewritten twice and no longer uses the XForms toolkit. The name survived, but it is no longer capitalized as "XFCE", but rather as "Xfce". The developers' current stance is that the initialism no longer stands for anything specific. After noting this, the FAQ on the Xfce Wiki comments "(suggestion: X Freakin' Cool Environment)".[10] The Slackware Linux distribution has nicknamed Xfce the "Cholesterol Free Desktop Environment", a loose interpretation of the initialism.

The article goes on to state that the complete rewrite of Xfce so that it would use GTK+ instead of XForms began in March, 1999 - and that the result was Xfce 3.0.

At that point, the name of the DE (Xfce) was no longer an acronym. This, as far as I know, is why the name was changed from XFCE to Xfce; however, I do not know if that is when the name change occurred. Also... local capitalization rules might contribute to (or cause) some confusion, here. For example, here in the United Sates, we tend to write things that are to be pronounced as individual letters (as Xfce is meant to be pronounced) in ALL CAPS, regardless of whether or not the letters that make up said name are an acronym.

However, regardless of that tendency, I have always believed that the person who created a thing was the one who had the right to decide what that thing's name is, how it is spelled, how - and if - one or more of its name's letters is/are to be capitalized, and how that name is to be pronounced. I have persisted in this belief, even though it has caused me to have issues with believing that the human race in general is not devolving in its intelligence, lol, and to wonder if some people give even a moment's thought to the names that they saddle their children with when those children are born. And, while I do not generally watch more than a (partial) handful of movies in any given year, I do read a bit - so I have "occasionally" been annoyed when I have seen movie titles (et cetera) mangled in such a way that we see names such as Se7en (which I have been told is actually supposed to be pronounced the same as if it were written as "Seven" instead of being pronounced as... hmm... sehsehvennen?

Again, thank you for contributing. Even before I began using a linux OS full time, I became impressed by the fact that so many people seem to be motivated at least as much - or even more so - to do things because it may end up being something that others are interested in than simply because they, themselves, wish to see the thing happen.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#10 2018-01-16 11:29:03

wuwei

I am interested in the image (above) that has the bridge in it. Is it available with natural coloration (IOW, no purple sky) and without any text?

Sorry, but there isn't no natural coloration available, because I've taken that photo from internet as you see.. :-(

https://www.fullhdpictures.com/hd-bridg … apers.html

Anyway, thank you for your compliments MDM. The idea simply came one afternoon while I was watching some youtube videos about Linux XFCE and I found the Das Geek channel. From there, first one, then two, then ten and finally I arrived at more than 50 wallpapers, as a joke! The desire, even with a small thing like that, is to contribute in making linux richer in things, ideas, improvements and so on.

I love Linux and especially XFCE that I've been using it for many years and never abandoned it, despite the thousand tests done with different distributions and different desktop environments..

Last edited by wuwei (2018-01-16 11:44:29)

Board footer