Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-18 20:01:54

BenXfce132

Thank you for Xfce

I have an old laptop with an AMD Athlon X2 64 CPU, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8200M G graphics card. It was Running Windows 10 64 bit, pretty up to date. So with Microsoft's CPU bug fix (KB4056892), it was one of the AMD machine stuck freezing on boot, and applying the Microsoft patch (KB4073290) said it was not applicable to the system, and Windows just kept repeatedly installing the update not matter what which makes it hang over and over. So I wiped and installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, but it had issues with the screen flickering or Cinnamon saying it crashed on startup. That does not happen on 18.1 but there the Cinnamon task bar sometimes freezes and you have to reboot. Ok, so I tried Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce, and hey!! It works out of the box! No fiddling with drivers, no screen flicker, nothing hanging, everything nice and responsive! No issues so far!

So this post is just to say thank you to you guys for your efforts and to let you know that it saved my day! Something worked!

It is nice to have a system that works and focuses more on stability and performance rather than lots of features that most people never use.

#2 2018-01-19 00:05:57

alcornoqui

Re: Thank you for Xfce

Hear, hear! My feelings, too, welcome to the forum.

Board footer