Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-22 04:04:36

golinux

[SOLVED] "Vibrating" synaptic buttons

This is happening on Devuan Ascii (Debian Stretch) with Xfce 4.12.3 and synaptic 0.84.2 using the Clearlooks-Phenix theme.  Xfce has been selectively installed without the meta package.  Don't know if that would make a difference.

Here's what's happening . . . The default synaptic toolbar icons 'jiggle' on hover and 'vibrate' when the cursor hovers over the RH border of "Mark All Upgrades" OR the RH border of "Properties".   That behavior disappears when the option to display "icons only" is chosen.

Likewise the buttons underneath the LH menu do a similar 'vibration' quite violently when the LH button is held down on the lower edge of a button.  I suspect that it might be linked to the hidden scrollbars (which ar now disabled) because there is a pronounced vertical movement about the same distance as the width of the scrollbar.

I'm hoping you can help me sort whether this is a synaptic issue, a GTK3-related mismatch or a Clearlooks-Phenix issue.  Everything remains static in the default Clearlooks theme but that is rather primitive GTK2 only.

Thoughts?

golinux

Last edited by golinux (2018-01-28 20:12:01)

#2 2018-01-22 17:48:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] "Vibrating" synaptic buttons

golinux wrote:

Here's what's happening . . . The default synaptic toolbar icons 'jiggle' on hover and 'vibrate' when the cursor hovers over the RH border of "Mark All Upgrades" OR the RH border of "Properties".   That behavior disappears when the option to display "icons only" is chosen.

Which synaptic toolbar icons are you referring to? I don't think I've ever seen any on any of my Xfce installs. Is this from a specific package that was installed? ("Mark All Upgrades" seems to be from an external package of some sort)

Likewise the buttons underneath the LH menu

What is an LH menu?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-01-22 19:16:21

Jerry3904

Those are options presented by clicking Synaptic > Toolbars
screenshotbd09f3c9288b1af30ae1e3214b03a88e.php

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#4 2018-01-22 19:21:55

golinux

ToZ wrote:
golinux wrote:

Which synaptic toolbar icons are you referring to? I don't think I've ever seen any on any of my Xfce installs. Is this from a specific package that was installed? ("Mark All Upgrades" seems to be from an external package of some sort)

Likewise the buttons underneath the LH menu

What is an LH menu?

Hi ToZ,

The misbehaving Synaptic Toolbar icons and LeftHand menu buttons identified.  This is the default Synaptic setup.

https://transfer.sh/DpBg0/synaptic_screenie.png

Hope that helps.

golinux

*edit* corrected the link to the hilighted screenshot

Last edited by golinux (2018-01-22 20:29:20)

#5 2018-01-23 00:59:11

ToZ
Administrator

Ohhh, synaptic the package manager, not the mouse driver. lol.

Okay, So I can replicate the problem and it's definitely a theme problem. The GtkButton widget is resizing when you hover. When you place the mouse cursor on the edge of the button it must be sending it alternating sets of hover/active signals and the button resizes itself repeatedly.

If you look at the theme's gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css file you'll find two sets of definitions:

1. Starting line #523 - the main button defintition and on line #532, the following padding definition:

padding: 5px, 8px, 6px;
  2. Starting line #542 - the button hover definition and on line #547, the following padding definition:

padding: 4px, 6px;

This is causing the resizing.

Change the second padding definition to match the first and the jiggling should stop (or it did for me).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2018-01-23 01:55:29

golinux

ToZ wrote:

Ohhh, synaptic the package manager, not the mouse driver. lol.

LOL indeed!  I'm still using a PS2 mouse so no fancy drivers needed . . .

Okay, So I can replicate the problem and it's definitely a theme problem. The GtkButton widget is resizing when you hover. When you place the mouse cursor on the edge of the button it must be sending it alternating sets of hover/active signals and the button resizes itself repeatedly.

If you look at the theme's gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css file you'll find two sets of definitions:

1. Starting line #523 - the main button definition and on line #532, the following padding definition:

padding: 5px, 8px, 6px;
  2. Starting line #542 - the button hover definition and on line #547, the following padding definition:

padding: 4px, 6px;

This is causing the resizing.

Change the second padding definition to match the first and the jiggling should stop (or it did for me).

Fantastic!  Thank you for finding that.  I get a little lost in all of those lines of code.  That is a huge weight off my shoulders.  I really owe you . . .

#7 2018-01-24 01:26:38

golinux

Well, the toolbar buttons are stabilized but the ones hilighted in the lower left are not.  It appears to be similar to the toolbar button issue - a rule mismatch somewhere.

https://transfer.sh/DpBg0/synaptic_screenie.png

I have been looking at the code and my head is swimming.  I try again after a break.  Just wanted to share my pain . . .  smile

#8 2018-01-24 13:10:25

ToZ
Administrator

I've been looking at this. The button height seems to resize when selected - but not all of the time, which is strange. In addition, the problem exists with ever theme I try. I'm not sure this is a theme issue. I haven't been able to find any way to stabilize it.

#9 2018-01-24 16:54:15

golinux

ToZ wrote:

I've been looking at this. The button height seems to resize when selected - but not all of the time, which is strange. In addition, the problem exists with ever theme I try. I'm not sure this is a theme issue. I haven't been able to find any way to stabilize it.

Thanks.  I had similar observations.  Could it possibly be stabilized by setting identical padding on all the related elements?   (I'm not sure exactly which ones are involved.)  Or is this a synaptic issue requiring a bug report?   I keep wondering what might happen if an epileptic were to stumble on that.

#10 2018-01-25 19:37:34

golinux

I finally got around to checking other themes and they are all stable.  So it must be in clearlooks-phenix.  Going to start mucking around with some trial and error on padding and margins to see if I can give it a nudge in the right direction.  It looks like both the padding and margins increase in size.

Last edited by golinux (2018-01-25 19:38:25)

#11 2018-01-26 01:38:18

golinux

@ToZ . . . You said, ". . . the problem exists with every theme I try."  Can you please tell me in what other themes you found this anomaly?  In the themes I have installed, only Clearlooks-Phenix shows this behavior.  I'm trying to figure out where to post a bug report.

#12 2018-01-26 02:18:34

sixsixfive
Website

could you please share your theme?

#13 2018-01-26 02:38:19

ToZ
Administrator

golinux wrote:

@ToZ . . . You said, ". . . the problem exists with every theme I try."  Can you please tell me in what other themes you found this anomaly?  In the themes I have installed, only Clearlooks-Phenix shows this behavior.  I'm trying to figure out where to post a bug report.

I just tried it again and it is only this theme that has the problem. Not sure why I saw it other themes earlier. I cannot find what is causing the resizing.

@sixsixfive, it is the Clearlooks-Phenix theme that is being used. It is Synaptic's lower left buttons that resize in height when clicked.

#14 2018-01-26 02:48:38

golinux

sixsixfive wrote:

could you please share your theme?

I'd be happy to but the vanilla clearlooks-phenix theme does the exact same thing.

#15 2018-01-26 03:28:41

sixsixfive
Website

the reason is that someone forgot a border for a state

if you add

button.radio.text-button,
button.radio.text-button:active,
button.radio.text-button:checked,
button.radio.text-button:hover,
button.radio.text-button:focus,
button.radio.text-button:backdrop,
button.radio.text-button:disabled{
border:none;}

its gone and the issue is somewhere @line ~500 / gtk-widgets-img.css, probably that border-image part.

PS: the whole theme seams broken to me there is just too much stuff for that tiny style

#16 2018-01-26 03:51:58

golinux

@sixsixfive . . .  WOW!  I hadn't even looked in gtk-widgets-img.css.  Are you on Stretch?  And did you see the weirdness it's doing?  I went to drop that in but not seeing "button.radio.text-button" anywhere in either gtk-widgets.css or gtk-widgets-img.css.  So where exactly should I put that?

Except for that weirdness, the theme looks really good here.  Of course, it could be broken in other apps that I don't know about.

Last edited by golinux (2018-01-26 03:52:53)

#17 2018-01-26 03:56:42

golinux

OK.  I got brave and just dumped that right after  /* Linked single button */  and the problem did indeed go away!!  How did you ever figure that out?!!!!!

#18 2018-01-26 17:15:02

sixsixfive
Website

golinux wrote:

How did you ever figure that out?!!!!!

just launch synaptic as root with GTK_DEBUG=interactive and you can use the gtk inspector https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/Inspector after a bit css injection and some trial and error you know whats happening

Last edited by sixsixfive (2018-01-26 17:17:03)

#19 2018-01-26 17:41:28

golinux

sixsixfive wrote:
golinux wrote:

How did you ever figure that out?!!!!!

just launch synaptic as root with GTK_DEBUG=interactive and you can use the gtk inspector https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/Inspector after a bit css injection and some trial and error you know whats happening

Ah, there are tools!  Thanks for that.  Mostly I play with crayons. I do know css so can figure some things out but can get a bit lost in the GTK3 stuff.  Synaptic is working as expected now.  I owe you!

Board footer