Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-01 17:13:36

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Monitors go blank when I lock screen

Hello, when I lock the screen, both monitors go blank and when I come back, I have to press a key, monitor starts(it takes 5 seconds) and then I can enter my password.
Doing this 10 times a day it's a bit disturbing.

I have already set in Power Manager: blank after "Never" but in vain.

How can I fix this?
Thanks

Offline

#2 2018-02-02 00:44:05

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,374

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

Versions?

xfce4-about -V
xfce4-power-manager -V

There has been some work done in later versions of xfce4-power-manager to address this issue.

Also look at this page for information about using xset to adjust DMPS settings.


How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Offline

#3 2018-02-02 08:06:12

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

Thanks for the fast reply and for the link. It's seems a bit tricky to fix it only for "lock computer", I see that the options are global.For example when hibernating, I would like to shut down the monitors.

Here is some of my info.

xfce4-about 4.12.1 (Xfce 4.12)

Copyright (c) 2008-2015
	The Xfce development team. All rights reserved.

Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.
Translators list from 2015-03-15 16:44:46.


Xfce Power Manager 1.4.4

Part of the Xfce Goodies Project
http://goodies.xfce.org

Licensed under the GNU GPL.

Yes, I had some problems when I installed it for the first time, I barely fixed classical one: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=10695

Last edited by taw_moto (2018-02-02 08:08:39)

Offline

#4 2018-02-02 12:39:45

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,374

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

Depending on the distro you are using, it is possible to create hibernate hooks that you can use to affect system settings. For example:

- systemd hooks
- pm-utils hooks


How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Offline

#5 2018-02-02 19:12:57

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

ToZ wrote:

Depending on the distro you are using, it is possible to create hibernate hooks that you can use to affect system settings. For example:

- systemd hooks
- pm-utils hooks

TBH I am afraid to dive that deep in the xfce internals, in the past I managed to break it.
I thought that it was more simple than that, especially because you mentioned that "There has been some work done in later versions of xfce4-power-manager to address this issue."

Offline

#6 2018-02-02 22:16:43

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,374

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

taw_moto wrote:

I thought that it was more simple than that, especially because you mentioned that "There has been some work done in later versions of xfce4-power-manager to address this issue."

xfce4-power-manager is currently at version 1.6.1. Version 1.4.4 is 5 versions back and about 3 years old. It's too bad that your distro isn't more up to date with the versions.

Which distro are you using?


How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Offline

#7 2018-02-03 07:23:09

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

ToZ wrote:
taw_moto wrote:

I thought that it was more simple than that, especially because you mentioned that "There has been some work done in later versions of xfce4-power-manager to address this issue."

xfce4-power-manager is currently at version 1.6.1. Version 1.4.4 is 5 versions back and about 3 years old. It's too bad that your distro isn't more up to date with the versions.

Which distro are you using?

Xubuntu 16.04.3
Tbh I am a bit afraid of linuxes updates, they always manage to break something small which bothers me, in 16.04 they broke the rendering of beautiful dejavu font, in 14.04 it looks great.

Is it a very safe way(with all dependencies and all) to do this update to latest 1.6.1?

LE: got the sources and tried to build, 4 packages missing at least, installed 3, I failed at "libxfconf-0 was not found on your system".
Nothing is simple in linux big_smile, I thought that there a simple option "do not blank monitors when lock computer", but i was sooo wrong big_smile

Last edited by taw_moto (2018-02-03 10:34:29)

Offline

#8 2018-02-03 12:42:13

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,374

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

Perhaps you can download the latest Xubuntu ISO and run it live - see if it solves the problem.

Edit: What happens if you run the following command in a terminal window?

xset s off -dpms 

Does it prevent the screen from blanking when you lock it?


How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Offline

#9 2018-02-03 19:07:18

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

ToZ wrote:

Perhaps you can download the latest Xubuntu ISO and run it live - see if it solves the problem.

Edit: What happens if you run the following command in a terminal window?

xset s off -dpms 

Does it prevent the screen from blanking when you lock it?

Perhaps in 18.04 they will implement latest xfce.
I will try this command the first thing in the morning in my office PC, thanks a lot ToZ

Last edited by taw_moto (2018-02-03 19:07:41)

Offline

#10 2018-02-03 20:17:07

MountainDewManiac
Member
From: Where Mr. Bankruptcy is Prez
Registered: 2013-03-24
Posts: 943

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

taw_moto wrote:

Nothing is simple in linux big_smile

Like most things, ^that^ can vary depending on circumstances.

There was once an Xfce(?) PPA that provided newer versions of several things; I remember using it back when my distro was based off a previous version of Ubuntu a few years ago. IDK if that is still available/maintained, but if it is you might wish to add it to your sources list and run your update manager to take a look at exactly which packages it would upgrade; perhaps it would contain the file(s) that you need newer versions of? If not, you can just remove it from your sources list instead of accepting the updates.

Regards,
MDM


Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Offline

#11 2018-02-05 08:50:01

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

ToZ wrote:

Perhaps you can download the latest Xubuntu ISO and run it live - see if it solves the problem.

Edit: What happens if you run the following command in a terminal window?

xset s off -dpms 

Does it prevent the screen from blanking when you lock it?

Yes, i tried now, the screen goes blank even with this command.

Offline

#12 2018-02-05 12:11:49

The_Human
Member
From: In front of a display
Registered: 2018-01-14
Posts: 5

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

MountainDewManiac wrote:
taw_moto wrote:

Nothing is simple in linux big_smile

Like most things, ^that^ can vary depending on circumstances.

There was once an Xfce(?) PPA that provided newer versions of several things; I remember using it back when my distro was based off a previous version of Ubuntu a few years ago. IDK if that is still available/maintained, but if it is you might wish to add it to your sources list and run your update manager to take a look at exactly which packages it would upgrade; perhaps it would contain the file(s) that you need newer versions of? If not, you can just remove it from your sources list instead of accepting the updates.

Regards,
MDM

Do you remember the address of the PPA?

Offline

#13 2018-02-05 12:53:00

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

I installed xscreensaver, which seems to prevent the screen to go blank. Thanks guys.

Offline

#14 2018-02-05 16:13:13

MountainDewManiac
Member
From: Where Mr. Bankruptcy is Prez
Registered: 2013-03-24
Posts: 943

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

The_Human wrote:

Do you remember the address of the PPA?

No, but a quick web-search for Xfce PPA gives this result:
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9187

...and others, too.

Regards,
MDM


Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Offline

#15 2018-02-05 19:05:19

sixsixfive
Member
From: behind you
Registered: 2012-04-08
Posts: 578
Website

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

xset s noblank;xset s 0 0;xset s off

at least thats what i use since decades now.

Offline

#16 2018-02-06 08:31:22

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

sixsixfive wrote:
xset s noblank;xset s 0 0;xset s off

at least thats what i use since decades now.

Thanks, but it does not work...
I will use xscreensaver, it seems that's the only one working.

Offline

#17 2018-02-17 02:17:47

strobe
Member
Registered: 2018-02-17
Posts: 1

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

Which screen locking program were you using before xscreensaver? xlock?

xfce4-power-manager tries to lock the screen using the xflock4 script.

After locking with either xlock or slock, it turns the display backlight off.

If you feel comfortable, you could edit the script.
It's located at /usr/bin/xflock4.

Comment out that line:

xset dpms force off

Offline

#18 2018-03-13 08:52:47

taw_moto
Member
Registered: 2018-02-01
Posts: 9

Re: Monitors go blank when I lock screen

strobe wrote:

Which screen locking program were you using before xscreensaver? xlock?

xfce4-power-manager tries to lock the screen using the xflock4 script.

After locking with either xlock or slock, it turns the display backlight off.

If you feel comfortable, you could edit the script.
It's located at /usr/bin/xflock4.

Comment out that line:

xset dpms force off

Thanks, I tried this also, but it does not work, either...

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB