Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-14 10:36:36

rolgiati

Inhibiting the menu when right-clicking on the desktop ?

Installing for boxes that will be in self-service in a library.

Means I have to limit what the guest users will be able to do in the way of modifying the configuration.

Is there a way to inhibit / desactivate the menu that pops up when right-clicking on the desktop  ?

#2 2018-02-14 11:44:45

ToZ

Re: Inhibiting the menu when right-clicking on the desktop ?

Have a look at the kiosk mode notes.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#3 2018-02-21 11:16:50

rolgiati

Thank you, but from what I read there the kiosk mode controls who can modify the desktop menu (and other things).

What I want is to prevent the menu from appearing when the guest user right-clicks on the desktop.

Or maybe reduce the menu to a single item "Log Out".

Would either be possible ?

#4 2018-02-21 13:12:51

ToZ

I believe if you set Desktop Settings > Icons > Icon Type to None and Desktop Settings > Menus > Include Applications Menu... unchecked,  you won't have a menu displayed on right-click. Then you can use the Kiosk Mode "CustomizeDesktopMenu" setting to prevent users from changing these settings.

If you need desktop icons, then it gets a little more complicated. You could build a custom version of xfdesktop and specify the "--disable-desktop-menu" configuration parameter, and it (the right-click menu) will not be available at all, but you would still have desktop icons.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information

#5 2018-02-21 16:41:58

rolgiati

Thanks for the advice.

ToZ wrote:

You could build a custom version of xfdesktop and specify the "--disable-desktop-menu" configuration parameter,

Intriguing idea, but how the devil does one do that ?

#6 2018-02-21 18:22:26

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

If you need desktop icons, then it gets a little more complicated.

Would using panel launchers work as a substitute to desktop icons (and, if so, would doing so be simpler?)? I know panels can be resized, but I am not sure how large the things on panels can be. That might be an issue, IDK.

For a "log out" button, could the OP set up the computer's power button to do that? Mine is set up to shut down the computer, but I think this is configurable. The OP would then want to have some sort of visual indicator that the power button now logs users out, of course - but a physical sign could do that, I suppose.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2018-02-21 18:40:16

rolgiati

Thank you, but this is not an acceptable solution, as I am also (thanks to ToZ) removing the panel itself to do away with another source of possible user's problems.

So I need desktop icons, but will have no panel...

#8 2018-02-21 19:04:46

ToZ

rolgiati wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

ToZ wrote:

You could build a custom version of xfdesktop and specify the "--disable-desktop-menu" configuration parameter,

Which distro are you using? It must have documentation on how to rebuild a package. With arch, for example, you can use ABS or create your own pkgbuild file. Info for Debian looks like it is here (looks like the config/build parameters are stored in the debian/rules file).

#9 2018-02-21 19:46:00

rolgiati

ToZ wrote:
rolgiati wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

ToZ wrote:

Which distro are you using? It must have documentation on how to rebuild a package. With arch, for example, you can use ABS or create your own pkgbuild file. Info for Debian looks like it is here (looks like the config/build parameters are stored in the debian/rules file).

I am using PCLinuxOS-XFCE-2018-01

#10 2018-02-21 20:13:11

ToZ

rolgiati wrote:

I am using PCLinuxOS-XFCE-2018-01

This looks relevant. Sounds like the SPEC file contains the build information.

Board footer