Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-02 09:24:48

jmfrank63

Creating a .Xclients file with content xfce4-session

I use a centos7 with Xfce4. Users that have an ldap account can login to this machine and their home directory is automatically created.

If they first connect via xrdp the home directory and the xdg directories are created just fine, except the connection ends up on a blank screen since there is no .Xclients file there. All other directories like Documents, Downloads, etc are created.

I read through the xdg documentation and can create directories, but I haven't found a way to have an executable .Xclients file with the content xfce4-session in their home directory.

Placing this file in /etc/skeleton does not work, it seems to be ignored. I found /etc/xdg/xfce4 there is a xinitrc file which I could add an echo and chmod command if the file does not already exist. But I'd rather prefer to just put a template file somewhere. Where should I put a template file?

#2 2018-03-02 13:27:05

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Creating a .Xclients file with content xfce4-session

Hello and welcome.

Placing this file in /etc/skeleton does not work, it seems to be ignored.

Do you mean /etc/skel?

/etc/skel is the correct place to add the file. Make sure that through your ldap configuration that you've specified the correct skeleton folder location.

I'm not that familiar with ldap, but a it looks like where you set up pam to make the directories, you can pass a paramter that specifies which skeleton folder to use:

session     optional      pam_oddjob_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel

Otherwise, you are stuck doing it the way you specified above - which is not ideal.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-03-04 19:16:25

jmfrank63

Thanks for the answer. In fact you are right, its /etc/skel and the directory is probably specified somewhere else, but unfortunately I am not having access to the ldap configuration. So I will place the file in /etc/xdg/xfce4 and do some tests.

The echo command is probably what I am stuck with at the moment, although I don't really like to change such files, as they can easily be overwritten on updates.

Last edited by jmfrank63 (2018-03-04 19:17:00)

#4 2018-03-04 19:21:46

ToZ
Administrator

The device-specific ldap configuration should be on the system itself. If you have access to /etc/xdg, would you not have access to the pam configuration files as well? I don't have access to a centos environment currently, but have a read through this somewhat related thread for more info about the configuration files.

You are correct though that any changes you make to /etc/xdg would probably get over-written during upgrades.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer