Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 09:32:38

horror-vacui

Super Key as modifier for bindkeys with xbindkeys

Hi Everyone,

I have a bindkey setting problem with the Super key. with some keys it works, with others it doesn't. It would be extremely convenient for me to use the Super key as a modifier for key bindkeys.
TL;DR: I have found a Super + key combination which is detected, but usually Super + key returns the same code as Super alone. How to still use Super with key combinations?

The long version:

I want to define some shortcuts with xbindkeys and I would like to use the Super (=windows) key to initiate them, because only a few shortcuts are defined there. The problem is, that the key combinations are not recognized, I have found only one exception. What is also strange is that in Xfce's Keyboard program I can set the same combinations with the Super keys and they work, so the system has to recognise them, but when I use xbindkeys with .xbindkeysrc, these combinations does not work.

Below is a listing of the key combination I pressed and what was returned by xbindkey -mk: ("- Super_L + ." was added by me into the xbindkey output to make it readable)

- Super_L:
  "(Scheme function)"
      m:0x50 + c:133
      Mod2+Mod4 + Super_L
- Super_L + m
  "(Scheme function)"
      Mod2+Mod4 + Super_L
- Super_L + f
  "(Scheme function)"
      Mod2+Mod4 + Super_L
- Super_L + l
  "(Scheme function)"
      Mod2+Mod4 + Super_L
- Super_L + b
  "(Scheme function)"
      Mod2+Mod4 + Super_L
- Super_L + o
  "(Scheme function)"
      m:0x50 + c:32
      Mod2+Mod4 + o
  "(Scheme function)"
      Mod2+Mod4 + Super_L
- Super_L + k
  "(Scheme function)"
      Mod2+Mod4 + Super_L

"Super + o" was recognized, but not the other ones. I know for sure that Super + T works as well, because it puts back the focus of my terminal - and therefore it was not recognized by xbindkeys -mk.

I am using Xubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I've also posted it in unix.stackexchange.com, but I got no responses. I hope I could get some here.

#2 2018-03-15 10:29:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Super Key as modifier for bindkeys with xbindkeys

It's a known issue in Xfce (and some other DEs as I understand). See: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7845 for a more complete story.

One workaround is to use ksuperkey until the issue is somehow resolved.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer