Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 23:06:13

Vincent17

Questions about xdg-screensaver

Hello
Recently I found that xfce4-power-manager presentation mode did not prevent screen blanking during movie playback. The xset commands in the 2nd post here https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8107 also failed. It was necessary to

xset s off -dpms 
xdg-screensaver suspend [window id]

It is hard to find information about xdg-screensaver beyond the man page.  I have been told that it is part of xfce, so I'm hoping someone on this forum can help. If I'm in the wrong place, I'd appreciate suggestions where to ask.  I have finally solved my problem, but I'm curious about this peculiar utility.  In particular,
Isn't it redundant when xscreensaver is running?
Is it possible to omit running xdg-screensaver at startup?
Is it possible to change the timeout?

Thanks

MXLinux MX17, Xfce 4.12.3

#2 2018-03-15 23:19:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Questions about xdg-screensaver

Hello and welcome.

Vincent17 wrote:

Is it possible to omit running xdg-screensaver at startup?
Is it possible to change the timeout?

Assuming that you are running at least version 1.6.0 of xfce4-power-manager, you can use the hidden "heartbeat-command" xfconf property to manage this. More information on this feature here:
- https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-m … 9480f51895
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11083

When I tested this feature. I believe I used the following command to create the key and use xscreensaver's deactivate parameter as the hearbeat command:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/heartbeat-command -t string -s "xscreensaver-command -deactivate" --create

Interesting though that presentation mode doesn't work for you.
Which version of xfce4-power-manager are you using?
Which screensaver?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-03-16 00:13:52

Vincent17

ToZ,
Thanks for the reply.  I'll [slowly] follow up on your suggestions about the heartbeat command.

I have Xfce Power Manager 1.4.4

If I understand, both xscreensaver and xdg-screensaver are running. With xscreensaver disabled, xdg-screensaver still turns out the lights on Miss Marple, so I had to disable both. I believe xscreensaver can be controlled via power manager, xscreensaver-demo, xset or presentation mode.  xdg-screensaver was a tougher nut to crack.  My immediate problem is solved (probably not in the best way), so now I'm just trying to understand better.  Thanks.

#4 2018-03-16 00:19:22

MountainDewManiac

You might take a look at your video app's settings. If I remember correctly, VLC has an option to inhibit screensaver activation when a video is playing.

Seems like I recall reading that Firefox and Chrome had the ability to do the same thing when it was streaming video, too, for every setup other than Ubuntu 17.10(+ ?). Something about that one using Wayland (xwayland?) as its display server, and it not having the ability to facilitate this (no DPMS support or something, I do not remember the details because I do not run *buntu).

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2018-03-16 22:34:34)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2018-03-16 18:13:50

Vincent17

M.D.M., thanks for that info.  I'm using Firefox to play videos from the local library website.  According to my test, Firefox full screen disables xscreensaver and dpms, but not xdg-screensaver.   For the experiment, I set power manager blank/sleep/off to 2, 4 and 6 minutes.   xdg-screensaver blanks after 10min, and that's what happened. 

@ToZ  xdg-screensaver is not a property in xfce4-power-manager.xml, so I don't know how to proceed with your suggestion.  My guess now is that it is from freedesktop, not xfce at all.  freedesktop wiki provides the man page and not much else.

Thanks again to both.  I now think my question was irrelevant to this forum sad

#6 2018-03-16 18:56:49

ToZ
Administrator

Vincent17 wrote:

@ToZ  xdg-screensaver is not a property in xfce4-power-manager.xml, so I don't know how to proceed with your suggestion.

My suggestion requires version 1.6.0 - unfortunately, you only have 1.4.4 so it won't work yet.

My guess now is that it is from freedesktop, not xfce at all.  freedesktop wiki provides the man page and not much else.

Yes, xdg-screensaver is not an Xfce component. Just looking at it now, it looks like it's a wrapper tool of some sort.

It looks like for the time being, you'll need to use your workaround or an app like caffeine. See this MxLinux forum thread for a related discussion. Presentation mode was flakey there for a while, but it got fixed for the 1.6x series.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#7 2018-03-21 20:38:22

Vincent17

Sorry to bump.  It turns out that my problem was that xscreensaver was not disabled.  Presentation mode takes care of xset; "xscreensaver-command -exit" disables xscreensaver and xdg-screensaver (ToZ said it was just a wrapper).

Presentation mode was flakey there for a while, but it got fixed for the 1.6x series.

In 1.6, does presentation mode suspend xscreensaver? 
Thanks again.

#8 2018-03-22 00:23:19

ToZ
Administrator

Vincent17 wrote:

In 1.6, does presentation mode suspend xscreensaver? 
Thanks again.

Yes. It works flawlessly for me.

#9 2018-03-22 15:11:59

Vincent17

It works flawlessly for me.

For me, too!  (1.6.1 from Ubuntu, on MXLinux).  Mmm, one more question:  can presentation mode be toggled by command line?  Thanks!

#10 2018-03-22 22:18:08

ToZ
Administrator

Vincent17 wrote:

Mmm, one more question:  can presentation mode be toggled by command line?  Thanks!

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode -s true

Board footer