Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-05 15:35:38

dan

Thunar context menu

Thunar suits what I do on debian stretch very well, for the most part, but changes to the context menu, e.g. when something new is installed, are not welcome. I would like to stabilize this menu. I do not want to add actions. Instead, I'd like to take some of them away. Is there any way to do this, like changing a config file or settings?

Thanks.

#2 2018-04-05 23:08:56

MountainDewManiac

Re: Thunar context menu

dan wrote:

I do not want to add actions. Instead, I'd like to take some of them away. Is there any way to do this, like changing a config file or settings?

That can be done by pressing Alt-e u to bring up the Custom Actions window, then highlighting the custom action that you would like to remove and, finally, placing your mouse cursor over the box with the red X in it ("Delete the currently selected action") and left-clicking.

Perhaps that will help you a little bit until someone comes along with knowledge of how to:

dan wrote:

changes to the context menu, e.g. when something new is installed, are not welcome. I would like to stabilize this menu.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2018-04-06 20:37:40

dan

MDM wrote:
...by pressing Alt-e u to bring up the Custom Actions window, then highlighting the custom action that you would like to remove...

That key combo doesn't work for me but I bring it up from the Edit menu in Thunar 1.6.11. Unfortunately what you desdribe affects custom actions but not any of the rest. I tried adding a custom action to see where it went, but it is down in the middle of the menu, not up at the top and removing it does not do what is needed. But *something* sure changes the top (default) action. Wish I knew what does it. Even a reference to a source module or a library module would help.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

#4 2018-04-06 21:58:07

MountainDewManiac

dan wrote:

Even a reference to a source module or a library module would help.

The Xfce documentation web page for Thunar's custom actions states that the thunar-uca "plugin" is used.

It also states: "You can use the thunar-dev mailinglist to get in touch with the developers, if you have questions about this short tutorial or custom actions in general."

I don't know if any of this will help you or not. My linux know-how is limited to copying and pasting commands into a terminal window (I just know how to perform a web search wink ).

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2018-04-06 21:59:34)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2018-04-06 22:20:26

ToZ
Administrator

dan wrote:

not up at the top and removing it does not do what is needed. But *something* sure changes the top (default) action. Wish I knew what does it. Even a reference to a source module or a library module would help..

That area is populated based on mimetype associations. For more information, read this Arch wiki article. I believe you can add the applications that you don't want to show up to a "[Removed]" section in the mimeapps.list file.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2018-04-08 00:02:44

dan

ToZ wrote:

That area is populated based on mimetype associations. For more information, read this Arch wiki article. I believe you can add the applications that you don't want to show up to a "[Removed]" section in the mimeapps.list file.

OK, that's the kind of stuff I need. Looking at the wiki, no wonder this is a problem for me. I found the mimeapps.list file in ~/.config/ and successfully made a change: when a *.pdf was down loaded, the default went from evince to the browser (palemoon). The following line was moved to the "[Removed]" section and when Thunar was re-started, the default went back to evince:

application/pdf=palemoon.desktop;

Glad to get control over this. Thanks!

Board footer