Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-16 08:40:30

ddo8

[SOLVED] Right-clicking links in a firefox 'new window' bug

Using firefox, I frequently right-click a link to open it in a new tab. When the main firefox window is open and I open a new firefox window, right-clicking links in this new window do not "hold" the little menu that has the option for choosing to open in a new tab, it just flashes, activates automatically and open the link in another new window. That menu just stays in place if I keep holding the right mouse button.

The strange thing is that the problem disappear if I just move the new window by its title bar.

This happens with a fresh install of Debian Stretch. I've tested some different Xfce options related to focus and window placement without success. Maybe it is related to gtk?

Not a big problem, but really weird bug and probably difficult to find.
Any ideas?

Last edited by ddo8 (2018-04-17 09:06:22)

#2 2018-04-16 12:40:48

ddo8

Re: [SOLVED] Right-clicking links in a firefox 'new window' bug

More information. I've noticed that in a new window, the right-click menu appears in a slightly different position related to the mouse pointer.

This is the normal behavior, in the main window:
main_ss.png

This is where the right-click menu appears in a new window:
new_ss.png

If I move the new window then it behaves like the main window. It could be that the bug happens because the right-click menu appears just under the mouse pointer with the option "Open Link in New Window" already selected. Gtk related maybe?

#3 2018-04-16 20:39:10

MountainDewManiac

When you open the additional Firefox window, does it then "have focus" (in other words, does its title bar show its status as being the active window), or is the focus still with the original window?

If the latter, does that additional window gain focus when you attempt your right-click action? If it does not, I assume that your act of left-clicking on that window in order to perform the move is causing the focus to shift. IF all of this is true, the question becomes why isn't the new window automatically having focus when created.

That's odd. I just opened the Window Manager Tweaks window in order to see what my "focus" settings are, because I do not have this issue. However, when I did, and then started to type this reply, I hid that window because I failed to do an Alt + Spacebar and enable its always on top option. So I did an Alt + Tab - and instead of instantly switching when I released the keys, I became "stuck" looking at the Alt + Tab switcher! This has never happened to me.

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2018-04-16 20:43:49

MountainDewManiac

When you open the additional Firefox window, does it then "have focus" (in other words, does its title bar show its status as being the active window), or is the focus still with the original window?

If the latter, does that additional window gain focus when you attempt your right-click action? If it does not, I assume that your act of left-clicking on that window in order to perform the move is causing the focus to shift. IF all of this is true, the question becomes why isn't the new window automatically having focus when created.

More worrying, after I closed the Window Manager Tweaks window (that I didn't change any options in, unless by mistake) - and, therefore, only had the ONE window open (Firefox), I pressed Alt + Tab again - and again became stuck in the switcher. At this point, left-clicking anywhere other than that Alt + Tab switcher does nothing! I literally have to move my mouse cursor onto the representation of the Firefox window and left-click.

It appears that something is badly screwed up here. I was just using this laptop an hour ago and noticed what seemed to be a rather high amount of RAM being used and a SLOW to respond computer, but just assumed I had too many pages loaded in individual tabs.

I am sorry, I will not be able to state what my Window Manager tweaks and Window manager settings that look like they might be relevant, because my laptop is somehow really messed up, and therefore cannot be trusted.

Regards,
MDM

That's odd. I just opened the Window Manager Tweaks window in order to see what my "focus" settings are, because I do not have this issue. However, when I did, and then started to type this reply, I hid that window because I failed to do an Alt + Spacebar and enable its always on top option. So I did an Alt + Tab - and instead of instantly switching when I released the keys, I became "stuck" looking at the Alt + Tab switcher! This has never happened to me.

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2018-04-17 00:00:45

ddo8

Yes, the new window gets focus immediately. I can see because the title bars change colors and I can start typing without needing to click it.

Now I've tested again and moving the new window is not needed for the problem to disappear, I just have to left-click or right-click the title bar of the new window and hold until the little hand cursor appears. Just clicking the new window, be inside it or in its title bar with any mouse button is not enough.

The stable version of Debian is kinda 'old', but the same thing happened with the testing version which has more recent packages.

---
edit: Ok, I'm gonna mark this as solved but the solution is ugly: Install devilspie and set a fixed window geometry for firefox. Here's my ~/.devilspie/firefox.ds:

(if
    (and
       (is (application_name) "Firefox")
       (matches (window_name) ".*Mozilla Firefox$")
    )
    (begin
       (geometry "1024x576")
    )
)

The funny thing is that if the geometry is set here to a lower value, like e.g. 1024x576, the main firefox window will not obey the setting, only newly created windows, which is interesting.

I'll update this post if I find a solution that does not use any extra program.

Last edited by ddo8 (2018-04-17 09:16:11)

Board footer