Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-24 15:38:43

nraygun

[SOLVED] Trash applet icon size

Is there a way to change the icon size of the trash applet? The other icons seems to obey the theme or panel size. It's a little big.

Using Xubuntu 16.04.04, XFCE panel 4.12.0
big trash icon

Last edited by nraygun (2018-04-27 22:21:41)

#2 2018-04-24 22:51:09

alcornoqui

Re: [SOLVED] Trash applet icon size

What's your icon theme? Did you try different ones?

It's the 2nd tab in Settings > Appearance

#3 2018-04-24 23:18:06

Spass

Looks like Numix, but I don't think that icon theme has anything to do with that. I'm also interested in this subject, becase I hate how panel icons look in Xubuntu 18.04 when the panel is big. Very inconsistent.

xoLC7Ks.png

I suppose that every panel plugin should have separate option to set the icon size, am I correct? That would be sad, because some developers will probably never add this feature.

Last edited by Spass (2018-04-24 23:18:51)

#4 2018-04-24 23:51:59

nraygun

@alcornoqui - I'm using Numix Circle.
@Spass - Agreed. Either separate option to set the size for each icon or some sort of standards for sizes.

The icon theme did change the icon, but it's still big. There's gotta be a config file or setting here somewhere...

Any other ideas?

#5 2018-04-25 00:02:32

Spass

nraygun wrote:

There's gotta be a config file or setting here somewhere...

Or not, because that plugin's developer did not add that feature. There's probably a fix to set global padding on the xfce4-panel (I think I saw this somewhere on the forums), but that solution will probably not satisfy me, because I want the Whisker Menu icon to stay big (regarding Xubuntu 18.04).

#6 2018-04-25 00:13:40

ToZ
Administrator

@raygun, you are running the gtk2 version of xfce4-panel. The only way that I know of to resize that icon is to change the dimensions of the actual icon being used.

@spass, some of those icons are from gtk3 panel plugins. In that case, you have options. Add the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

For the power manager:

#xfce4-power-manager-plugin { padding: 2px; }

For the pulseaudio plugin:

#pulseaudio-button { padding: 3px; }

For the notifyd plugin:

#xfce4-notification-plugin { padding: 4px; }

...adjust the padding values to suit.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2018-04-25 00:34:00

nraygun

I tried to find the icons for the trash to resize them, but I can't find them. It seems that the Numix-Circle icon directory doesn't have trash icons.
Is the panel using some sort of system icons for the trash? I could then resize them to the same size as the other icons (Dropbox, Shutter, Volume, etc.)

#8 2018-04-25 00:45:54

ToZ
Administrator

nraygun wrote:

I tried to find the icons for the trash to resize them, but I can't find them. It seems that the Numix-Circle icon directory doesn't have trash icons.
Is the panel using some sort of system icons for the trash? I could then resize them to the same size as the other icons (Dropbox, Shutter, Volume, etc.)

For the trash plugin, it is using the user-trash icon. Finding it is going to be hit and miss though. If it's not in the Numix-Circle directory, look backwards through the inheritance tree until you find it. The inheritance tree can be see by looking at the icon themes "icon.theme" file in it's root. It will tell you from which other icon themes it inherits from. Most probably the Numix icon theme.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#9 2018-04-25 00:59:15

Spass

ToZ, thank you so much! Now I only need to find a way to change left and right padding to 0, if that's even possible, to make it look good with other application icons. Adding "padding-left: 0;" etc. didn't work.

g8Ppf0Y.png

And do you know what's the handle for that PulseAudio plugin or where I can find that out? "#pulseaudio-button" doesn't work for me. Neither xfce4-pulseaudio-button, pulseaudio-plugin, xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin.

Last edited by Spass (2018-04-25 01:10:57)

#10 2018-04-25 01:38:58

ToZ
Administrator

Spass wrote:

ToZ, thank you so much! Now I only need to find a way to change left and right padding to 0, if that's even possible, to make it look good with other application icons. Adding "padding-left: 0;" etc. didn't work.

padding overwrites any "padding-left|right|top|bottom" directives. Try playing with the margin directives to see if they help (margin, margin-left, margin-right, margin-top, margin-bottom).

And do you know what's the handle for that PulseAudio plugin or where I can find that out? "#pulseaudio-button" doesn't work for me. Neither xfce4-pulseaudio-button, pulseaudio-plugin, xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin.

Just to confirm, that is the pulseaudio plugin, is it not? I think maybe xubuntu may use an indicator there instead. Go to the panel properties Items tab and see if pulseaudio plugin is listed there. "#pulseaudio-button" should work if it's the pulseaudio plugin.

Last edited by ToZ (2018-04-25 01:50:00)

#11 2018-04-25 02:05:24

Spass

ToZ wrote:

Go to the panel properties Items tab and see if pulseaudio plugin is listed there.

Yes, it's xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin (0.4.1) on that panel, I think that Xubuntu Team is moving away from indicators in the new release. Probably because Unity was dropped and they're no longer developed, that's just my guess, based on what I know.

ToZ wrote:

Try playing with the margin directives to see if they help.

Margin only changes the whole selection (that blue background on hover gets smaller, but space between icons is still big). I also tried something like this:

#xfce4-power-manager-plugin {
    padding-top: 6px;
    padding-bottom: 6px;
    padding-left: 0 !important;
    padding-right: 0 !important;
}

But it doesn't work (without "!important" also). It seems that I don't have control on how much space the plugin takes on the panel, I only can control the insides of that space. If that makes any sense. So if panel is for example 47px high, that plugin takes 47px by 47px square and I can only control the inside of it, not the size itself.

#12 2018-04-25 10:59:35

ToZ
Administrator

Spass wrote:

So if panel is for example 47px high, that plugin takes 47px by 47px square and I can only control the inside of it, not the size itself.

I see. Which appearance theme  and icon themes are you using? I'll have a look to see if it's possible.

Are you familiar with GTK inspector?

xfce4-panel -q
GTK_DEBUG=interactive xfce4-panel

#13 2018-04-25 12:49:29

Spass

I was using default ones, so Greybird and elementary-xfce-darker, but I've checked it on other themes too (Arc, Numix, etc.) and it looks the same. I was testing this again today with this new ISO: http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/mile … /downloads

That GtkInspector tool is a really nice thing, thanks for a hint. I was trying to make an use of it, and from what I saw the sound plugin is indeed called "pulseaudio-button", no idea why it doesn't work with that custom CSS. Probably I'm doing something wrong.

But... I'm afraid that there's no way to change what I want with custom CSS entries, look at this screen (red squares) - https://i.imgur.com/kelTCaw.png On left is that sound icon, on right is some indicator-button icon (which is displayed correctly, I mean no excessive left/right padding, for example that envelope icon visible on the screenshot). As you can see, in GtkImage properties there's something like this:

Request mode: constant-size
Allocation: 45 x 33 +1 +7
Clip area: 47 x 35 +0 +6

And "normal" panel icons have Allocation and Clip area set to 22 x (...). Am I wrong or is this just a value that determines the width and it's "hardcoded"?

#14 2018-04-25 22:32:23

nraygun

ToZ wrote:

For the trash plugin, it is using the user-trash icon. Finding it is going to be hit and miss though. If it's not in the Numix-Circle directory, look backwards through the inheritance tree until you find it. The inheritance tree can be see by looking at the icon themes "icon.theme" file in it's root. It will tell you from which other icon themes it inherits from. Most probably the Numix icon theme.

I think I found that it might be inheriting form the Numix theme as you said and they are in the directory, /usr/share/icons/Numix. I'm not familiar with the icons setup in XFCE. There seems to be many versions of the icons at different sizes: 16, 16@2X, 22, 22@2X, 24, etc.

Which set should I alter?

My panel's size is set to 36.

#15 2018-04-25 22:54:47

ToZ
Administrator

Spass wrote:

That GtkInspector tool is a really nice thing, thanks for a hint. I was trying to make an use of it, and from what I saw the sound plugin is indeed called "pulseaudio-button", no idea why it doesn't work with that custom CSS. Probably I'm doing something wrong.

It's not working for me now either. Something must have changed in the code for this version. Also checked the git tree and the issue is the same, CSS padding no longer adjusts the pulseaudio plugin's icon size. Perhaps a bug report should be created.

But... I'm afraid that there's no way to change what I want with custom CSS entries, look at this screen (red squares) - https://i.imgur.com/kelTCaw.png On left is that sound icon, on right is some indicator-button icon (which is displayed correctly, I mean no excessive left/right padding, for example that envelope icon visible on the screenshot). As you can see, in GtkImage properties there's something like this:

Request mode: constant-size
Allocation: 45 x 33 +1 +7
Clip area: 47 x 35 +0 +6

And "normal" panel icons have Allocation and Clip area set to 22 x (...). Am I wrong or is this just a value that determines the width and it's "hardcoded"?

I can't seem to find a way either. However, both the Arc and Adapta themes seem to have less gapping between the icons - so the theme itself does affect the spacing. I also note that GTK3 generally seems to have more built-in padding around the widgets than GTK2 had.

#16 2018-04-25 22:56:44

ToZ
Administrator

nraygun wrote:
ToZ wrote:

I think I found that it might be inheriting form the Numix theme as you said and they are in the directory, /usr/share/icons/Numix. I'm not familiar with the icons setup in XFCE. There seems to be many versions of the icons at different sizes: 16, 16@2X, 22, 22@2X, 24, etc.

Which set should I alter?

My panel's size is set to 36.

You might need to trial and error. I'd start with the size less than and closest to the size of the panel. You need to leave the size of the icon the same, but shrink the contents of that graphic inside the image area.

#17 2018-04-25 23:56:03

nraygun

Bingo! Thanks ToZ!!!

Here's what I did:

Copied the original icons to my Downloads directory. Made copies of the originals.
Changed the size to 60% in Inkscape and saved them back to the Downloads directory
Saved the icons back to the Numix directory:
    sudo cp user-trash.svg /usr/share/icons/Numix/32/places/
Reloaded the panel with:
    xfce4-panel -r

Results:
smaller trash

My OCD feels much better now! smile

#18 2018-05-08 21:15:17

nraygun

Doh!
Testing out 18.04 in a VM before I nuke my system and install it on a fresh SSD.
Icons are all wonky by default. Hopefully I can change them with the info collected in this thread.

Big o' crazy notification bell, really loud speaker, and practically a dumpster instead of a trashcan icon:
Wonky icons

Board footer